1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F~350, whats it worth...HELP!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Big Nate's Plowing, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

A salesman @ the local dodge dealership that we buy all of our cars from has a 1990 Ford F~350 dually cab and chassis , it's got a 7.3 IDI I think, coupled to a 5 speed with a granny first.
    he called me and said that they just got it in on trade and wanted to know if I was interisted in it, $2800,20% down and $125 a month 2 years, so I said yea, went and took it for a test drive 128k on the clock, stoped on a dime no funny noises, shifted smooth after the gear lube warmed up, it has deicent tires, no slop in the u-joints, oil looked clean, overall nice truck, but dirty on the inside because it was a ex concrete contractors truck, I'd like it for pulling the landscape trailer. My question is it worth that?, I talked them down to $2500, I'll go and take pics in a few
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well I can't tell you about the price but if a concrete guy owned it before it must have some hard 128K miles on it for some 12 years.
  3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Kelley Blue Book

I would get a coolant and oil sample and have them tested. This engine has problems if the coolant additives are not kept up to the proper levels, corrosion starts and coolant finds the oil. A heavy equipment dealer or heavy truck repair shop can do the test for you.

I heard of guys who have put 300,000 on these engines, they'll last a long time if maintained. The test will tell the story.
  4. plowed

plowed Senior Member

While the $2,500 may be worth it, the financing certainly isn't. If you work out the payment with the 20% down and $125/m for 24 months, based on the $2800, the interest rate is 30% !!! I don't know what the usery rate is in Ohio, but here in CT it is 18%. I would either pay it outright, or find someone or a bank to borrow the money from. Even a bank would only charge you 12% or less for a personal loan. You'd be better off putting it on your Visa card. Just a heads up for you.
  5. plowed

plowed Senior Member

BTW, you can look up Blackstone Labs at Blackstone-Labs.com for the fluid analysis. I have no affiliation with them, just know of their service.