1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-350 vs F-250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by skferreri, Oct 16, 2009.

1. skferreri

skferreri Senior Member

Im looking for some info on this topic,i have a f350 and am looking to get a f250.Is there any big difference between these trucks, i have a western 8.6 mvp plus on my 350.will the 250 do the same amount of work as the 350,any help

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Not very much difference, not very much difference in price either. And no it wont push any bigger plow or get done any faster than the 250.....I'm assuming your are talking SRW 350's?

3. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Early years the 250 had 2" rear axle blocks/spacers and the 350's had 4" blocks LOL!! that was about it.:nod:

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

The difference between my 06 f250 and a 06 f350 was 1 rear leaf spring.

5. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

different axles, springs, GVWRs, blocks, and other small stuff

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

:nono:

Not necessarily.

It just depends on how the truck is speced out.

For snowplowing purposes a 250 will be the same as a 350.

7. skferreri

skferreri Senior Member

So the 250 should hold my plow the same as my 350!!!!!!

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Most likely if it has a similiar spring code.

9. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

My 250 diesel sags less than my dads 350 v -10 :confused:

10. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

The newer trucks f250 and f350 have the same weight capacity on the front end.So you will be able to put on the same size plows on either. Engine and trans are the same also, only difference is between gas and diesel
    The difference is how much weight you can put in the bed because of the extra leaf spring.
    Price difference is not that much so I would say go for the 350 for the extra weight carrying capability.

11. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

My F250 carries a 9'2" Boss better than my Dodge 3500 carries a 8'6" MVP (and it's not even close).

12. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

The front ends are basically the same, so for plowing its not going to matter. If you get a 350 srw and a 250 the only differences are going to be in the rear, and that would be an extra leaf spring and 4" spacer block in the 350, I'm not too sure that the rear axles are even different, I think they are the same. I have a 250 with the 10000 GVW package, but my front axle is rated for 6,000 and my rear is 6,1??, so if I do math correctly according to my axle ratings I should be able to be at 12,000gvw, which is what I think the 350 is close too, correct me if I am wrong. Basically not much different between the two and the front ends are practically the same. You'll be fine. Sorry for going off on a tangent.

13. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

wait a sec, didn't the 250's runa dana 50 up front,and the 350's have a 60,,,,super 60's in 450's and 550's and i didnt think the front suspensions were the same,,,unlss something changed in the last couple years.

14. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

assuming you are talking about the superduty body style in the 99-02 year models and assuming gas enginesand 4x4...the badge and front springs and SOMETIMES the different sized rear block are the only difference. the f250 comes with either an s or v code front spring, the 350 comes with either a v or x code spring. the front ends are exactly the same model, the rear is exactly the same sterling 10.5" rear, and the rear springs are exactly the same. that said...there were factory options such as an extra overload spring and . the dana 60 front wasnt available on the super duty until 02 and the dana 60 rears were in the light duty f250s

call ford headquarters if you need confirmation, but getting simple information outta ford is like a national secret or something.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  15. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

FYI - it looks like he is running an '08 or newer and probably will be running the same with the new one. So yes it is within the last couple of years, and it is since they redesigned most of the superduty, frame, diesel engine, interior, exterior, etc. for the 2007.5 model year. So for the sake of helping him out, lets keep the info relative to within the last couple of model years. Also if you go to western's website and use their quickmatch software it has all of the same plows fitting on both including the 8.6' MVP Plus. May I ask why you are updating trucks so soon. I am also basing all of my info on the superduty with the diesel option, I am not sure about gassers. Not that that makes any difference according to western's info.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  16. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

from 05 to current if the truck is a diesel 250 or 350 if it has the snow plow prep it will have 6000 front spring rate no plow prep it will be 5200 or 5400. if it has the prep from factory its the same.

17. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

Axles(front and rear) are the same between the newer F250 and 350 SRW trucks.

18. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

yup dana 60s up front. pretty sure rears on the 350 are dana 80s guys

19. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

if your talkin pre 99 then the 250 had a ttb front axle, not solid

20. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

wonders where you got that info, since it wasnt posted in this thread.