1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F=350 steering

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by L.I.Mike, Jan 22, 2012.

1. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

My F-350 steering at times feels as if the power steering disappears. Usually when I am going real slow the wheel is tough to turn> Is this a trait of the diesel?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Are your hubs locked in?

3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Does it do that if you push brake?

Check power steering fluid to see if it burnt.

My F350 7.3L did that and I fixed by flush fluid. Before that it would steering fine until touch brake pedal it lost steering. Take 2 gallons to flush. They were burnt brown color. I use Mercon V it been fine for 2000 miles now.

4. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

could be a weak power steering pump, or as others said burnt fluid. flush the power steering. if that don't fix it, you are going to need a pump.

5. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

I get an issue with higher than normal steering effort from time to time and it is from low tire pressure. Not excluding the other possibilities but I have seen trucks that have had all the mechanical parts replaced and it still did it, put air in the tires and it was gone. Give it a try.

6. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Check the easy stuff first--level, condition, tire pressure; then on to the pump, I had one that was weak from day one.