1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-350 Rebuild with PLOWSITE Advice!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by MajorDave, Sep 8, 2014.

1. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

OK - so as you know, I pulled the trigger and got this 2002 F-350 7.3 Flatbed - 118,000 miles. Bought it in New York - down near NYC. Got it for a steak (or a steal although a steak would have been nice) and took all your advice with what I knew and crawled all over and under this thing. So far - so good. Drove like a dream - smooth - tranny nice and smooth etc)

As I said - taking advice on where to go first. Looks like NOTHING has been done to front end since 2002! Want to get that in order and beef it up and go with a BOSS 8.2 or 9.2 DXT Stainless V. Other plow is a BOSS, so gonna stay in the family.

Figured i would let you all see this thing come around like the Purple Dodge Project and watch it get rebuilt here on PLOWSITE. Hey PLOWSITE - hit me up and finance this and I will put your name all over it!!! :)

So here come the pics first.

Oh - oil pan looks pristine too...

Thanks - Major Dave

Pics coming...having trouble uploading...

2. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

OK - here come the pics...Flatbed came with both sets of rails - the aluminum come apart and are hinged easily and the wooden just slide in. It's a Reading bed.

IMG_2321.jpg

IMG_2358.jpg

IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2337.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

3. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Here come some more...

IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

IMG_2341.jpg

IMG_2330.jpg

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

6 inch lift kit and 36's.......

And a Western Vee of course.....

5. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Last few - this thing is DIRTY - been parked in the woods...was driving - but parked under wet trees...I know the dirt doesn't matter, but just an observation...got to do some more crawling underneath...

IMG_2357.jpg

IMG_2356.jpg

6. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Damn, nice score.

Level kit, 35's, 5" exhaust, intake and a Hydra chip = fun and reliable truck.

7. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Hell - let's just make it a tracked vehicle with 120 mm main gun on it while were at it! Yaaaa!

8. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

Actually if you want an axle back 4 inch stainless steel exhaust from mbrp u can have mine! I ordered a 4 inch turbo back system. Only one anyone offered is a full kit for a 7.3 than I had to buy a tail section for a cab and chassie

9. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

And no garbage hydra chip. Get something good like a ts6 position or custom tuning. Like dp or beans with a 6 position chip u get six tunes in one. Also can get a high idle

10. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Since when does PHP have garbage tunes? My Hydra allowed me to chose what tunes I wanted including a range of high idle options. I've yet to see any other guys that hate them either. Great customer service and tunes.

DP Tunes are nothing special, and the owners are immature ****** bags that feel the need to bad mouth competitors.

Also do a full turbo back exhaust. Anything less is just a waste. Beans I believe had the best price for MBRP. Took a friend and I about an hour to remove and install the new exhaust.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  11. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

Nice grab, bed could use some fresh paint, got any plans for a salter?

And thanks for mentioning my purple dodge project thread Thumbs Up

good luck with the truck, cant wait to see what you do to it

12. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Honestly not yet as I have route plowing with New York City Dept of Sanitation and no call for it unless I have something on the side, but so busy with that I don't see a need for it yet. We have an battalion of plows that help out the City. Well paid. In fact - anyone interested I am looking for help this winter. PM me...

Ya - I watched your truck. Interested in what you did with the doors and inside the doors too (need to revisit thread). I wanna get under the bed at the frame but it's tight. Looking into the sand less blasting - but $$$ need to go to front end first (I think). Trying to be smart.

13. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Damn. Sounds good to me...

14. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Gotta look into the Full Turbo back exhaust and chips....boys - gotta tell ya - got no clue about chips! But I do need one, eh? Ok. More to do! Again - need to be smart where I put money...seems smart to get front end ready for plow first, but...

15. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

16. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Ya - been livin on a few of those...

17. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

You don't need one, but it sure helps and something to read up on.

As far as immediate get the front end done and get a 6.0 trans cooler. The stock one is horribly undersized and a leading cause of trans death in the 7.3.

18. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

As a 7.3 owner- no you dont not need one, but A tuner will get you a little more horsepower and better fuel mileage. hydra and ts6 is one of the best tuners for the 7.3. X2 with the 6.0 cooler, my 7.3 dropped almost 30 degrees in the trans with a 26 row cooler.

Also, like said a 4 or 5 inch exhaust will get you a little bit better mpg, and a 6637 air filter helps the engine breath a little bit better. You can get the air filter or napa or oreilys.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  19. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

OK - First thing was to find a build sheet. Went to Ford and they wanted $17 for a basic one and $48 for a "Deluxe!" Guess it had pictures! LOL Found http://www.compnine.com/vid.php and it was $5 for 5 build sheets and even had a monthly account you could get if you were int he business I guess. Will let ya know - still waiting on my password - and the 5 sheets I can get lasts forever - so not bad...a buck each and they get rich!

20. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member