1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-350 rear leaf springs

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Tractor Plower, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Tractor Plower

Tractor Plower Senior Member

Well y'all, after doing my weekly inspection of my truck, i noticed i've broken a leaf in the right rear spring. yuck! question is: do i rebuild the spring, or just replace both? i do alot of long distance towing, so i don't wanna half-ass it. if i replace them both, will it be better than having just the leaf replaced? also, has anyone done this? i have not had a chance to talk to the parts dept. yet to find out how much it costs to replace an entire pack. (times 2, i don't want an uneven truck)

thanks guys

-Mike

2. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I have done both methods of repair a few times each. The rebuilt leaf packs will eventually sag back to their original shape since the rest of the leafs are old and fatigued. But I never had a rebuilt pack fail on me. By replacing the entire spring packs you get new or newer less fatigued springs, but higher parts cost. No matter what you do make certain you do it to both sides, otherwise it will lean. The last time I did this I found a guy who had installed a big lift kit which replaced his entire spring pack, so I got some used but low mileage springs that he had no use for and they were at a great price. Either rebuilding or replacing will require about the same labor.

3. Tractor Plower

Good information, G. I was able to stop by my local Ford dealer, and found it is $400.00 each spring. As mcuh as i'd like to get slightly used springs from someone lifting it, no one 'round here lifts trucks. (I think i've only seen half-dozen lifted super dutys on the road, ever!) I will definatley keep my eyes open, though.
    Thanks for the information!

-Mike

4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

that sounds real reasonable if it's through the dealership. would the parts stores be cheaper?

5. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

6. Tractor Plower

JB- yah it is reasonable. Problem through part stores is my truck has the "highest" payload package (yep, technical term from the dealer) and the truck is supposed to be capable of handling 4600lbs payload! for an SRW! This has made locating parts outside ford a nusiance.
    nev.- Thanks for the links! it ended up my dealer (who i get along with real well, and they see enough of me since i take my dads truck to them, too) gave me a great discount so the springs came to $250 CDN each. (that's about $215 U.S.) so i said go for it. factory springs with the load rating i need. Thanks again for the links though!

So there ya go, dealer got the business 'cause they treated me right! to get both springs rebuilt it was going to cost the same as the ford springs without the discount, so I just figure i'll get more life out of new packs all together. I hope.

-Mike