1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F 350 Plow Prep

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Warriorwon, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Warriorwon

Warriorwon Junior Member

I would like your professional opinion on options for setting up my F 350 SD 4X2 for plowing.
    I purchased the truck last month upon doing what I thought was adequate research for the duties that I require for the truck. My main income is from landscaping and lawn care. I live in central Kentucky so I’m not to worried about working to hard in my otherwise off season.
    My problem is I have now found out that there is not an after market set-up for a plow prep for my F 350 SD 4X2. Ford tells me if it was not orginaly set up for plow prep there is no after market kit. I have some concerns about damaging the truck due to it not having the required suspension for the additional load up front. The Plow sales people said they won’t install the plow without the prep package (I’m going to do the install my self anyway they just opened the door for the prep questions) I have no intention of subjecting this truck to abuse just what would be normal wear and tear due to plowing.
    I’m installing a Meyers plow that weights about 650-800 lbs (have to check)
    What are my options and your thoughts?
  2. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

Do a search on the subject here in the Ford section. I just have one question, is your truck a dually or single rear wheel??
  3. Warriorwon

Warriorwon Junior Member

I tried several searches no hits.
    All the conflicting opinions that I received today from Ford dealers and plow manufactures and also sales reps, makes me wonder if this is worth concerning myself over. This truck will see very little plow time.
  4. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I know that there are a couple of landscapers around here that have plows on there 2wd F-350 duallys. I a couple years ago a friend of mine was working for one of the companys,he said that they ran with the a couple yards of sand in the dumpbox and I thought that he said that the truck had airbags in the frontend. Thats about the most that I can help you out, but I wouldn't think that your truck should have any problems.
  5. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

I just bought a new Ford F350... The main thing that comes in the plow package is a trans cooler. U would probally be ok with out it if u did minimal plowing... but if your doing alot u should add one. I also highly reccomend 4x4 with plowing..... i guess u could do without it but u would need alot of weight in the bed. 4X4 is the way to go ! Also u could add some air bags in the front springs if the weight of the plow causes the front of the truck to sag...( I didnt put on my western mvp yet not sure if it will sag ) but u should be ok with a 350. The snow plow prep package only cost like 85 dollars at time of purchase so i think its just the trans cooler that you are missing... Hope this helps
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  6. Warriorwon

Warriorwon Junior Member

I'm very skeptical about air shocks. It's been my experience in the past that they are more trouble than they are worth.
    I'm looking in to the Timbren angle to see if that or something similar might be the best option.
    I'm very confident that this truck will do the job for me plowing.You have to remember that i'm in KY where we average 15-17 inches of snow fall a year. If it were not for having year round accounts I wouldn't't even bother with the plow.
    I got a great deal on a Diamond V-box spreader from a company going out of business,so weighting down the truck is solved. The spreader is over kill for the amount and size of accounts that I have but I'm looking to expand next season.
    I've searched the site for clues and so far Timbren seems to be the most common option.
  7. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

Your main concern should be the suspension. Without a good setup you are going to cause some extreme damage to your rig. Maybe your should rethink the idea of installling a plow. You have had a few people tell you it was not a good idea. Also i do not know your warranty factor but ford will void your warranty for adding after market items (espescally plows) if it was not installed on a vehicle designed for it. Why, if you wanted to plow would you not buy a truck designed for it?
  8. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

The suspension could be upgraded to handle the plow. No problem there. You did not say what transmission you had. if it is a stick then you may ware out a few clutches over time. If it is a automatic then you do not have a low range available with a transfer case so you will be working the transmission harder then you would with a 4X4. A transmission cooler and gage are a must. keep temp below 250 degrees. chains and extra weight will help when needed. Find a plow that when angled will leave the snow berm outside the tire track and stick with the lightest one you can find.
    As you stated you will use this plow very little then you do not need what most of us call a commercial plow.

Good luck with your plan and keep checking in here often and let us know what you decide.
  9. Silverhowie

Silverhowie Junior Member

I have a similar problem with a lower FAWR. I had a Ford dealer look into the difference between with or without the snowplow package, and in my case, they told me if I put in another leaf spring on each side>problem solved. Then I will be good for 6000 FAWR.
  10. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

There are other things to consider when trying to raise the GVW of your trucks then the springs. Tire ratings, Rim style, axle size, bearings, brake size, U-joint and drive shaft size, shocks, and frame. among others.
    No one here wants to read about the accident involving a plower that modified his truck to handle a heaver blade by only adding springs and was unable to stop due to the under size brakes, or had a blowout from overloaded tires.
    Please remember to use coman sense when modifing your rigs, or attaching a plow to them when it is not recommended by the dealer.

Forgot to add that little sticker on the door. In the eyes of the law, nothing you change will alow you to raise the figure posted on that sticker.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2004
  11. Warriorwon

Warriorwon Junior Member

Thanks for all the input.

First, this truck is a 4x2 and the GVW won't be a problem nor should the breakes or trans.(auto) the cooler and gauges are already installed.

second, yes I made some newbie mistakes. I don't have requirements for 4X4 except for about 3 months of the year, so as a small businessman I have to have a vehicle that is best suited for the other 9 months. I was unaware of the additional requirements that it takes to run a plow.

third, as far a FORD is concerned this truck in not under warranty and they frown on any extended warranty on a commercial truck as far as I have seen. To get an extended warranty on my truck would not be cost effective.

lastly, I think that some of the suggestion made will be very aduquite for my application. Extra leaf and TIMBREN,with a light plow and chains should be sufficient for the limited plowing that I might have to do. I'm not expecting to do to much this year and I'm not taking on any more. Next year I will be better prepared for the season with a truck more suited for the task.

P.S. I may not get much snow down my way but for you guys to the North I hope you get so much that you have to use those 4X4 to carry your money to the bank.
  12. Silverhowie

Silverhowie Junior Member

Well put Dwan! I probably should of mentioned that I researched with several Ford dealers about how they came up with the FAWR on my truck. Even gave them the VIN # so he could compare the difference between what I'm driving and what would have been stamped 5200 FAWR. They told me in my case the axle, brakes, tires, etc... would have been the same EXCEPT they would have put a different spring package in. Also you can't change your FAWR on the door jamb sticker, it is what it is (one time sticker issued from the factory)! But I know I can safely operate my vehicle.