1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-350 oil leak!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by PORTER 05, Feb 5, 2006.

1. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

2000 ford f-350...big puddle of oil under the truck,,,,look around for a few mins and find out where its coming from....if youre looking through the front left tire well , straight through to the engine, there a metal pipe about an inch or so diameter and about a foot and a 1/2 long coming from the oil filter then into the engine, when the truck is on the oil is oozing out of that pipe ( right out of the side) and then dripping down onto the ground, any suggestions??, how much am i looking at having this get fixed??. are they going to need to take the engine out to get to this pipe and replace it, it needs to be replaced!! it has a crack in it and its rusty, any price estimates on labor ect,, thank you very much!!!!
  2. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

That is your engine oil cooler. Or better stated it is a heat exchanger for the engine oil to coolant. No the engine does not need to come out to r/r it. Check your coolant for oil contamination, more then likely you have oil in the coolant now too.
    Price on labor I have no idea since I do all of my own work. To get the part I would go to www.powerstrokeshop.com. I think the part is around $190. If I had to have someone do the work I would NOT use Ford. I would go to either a good private shop or IH.

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

Good luck finding a Good and competant independent shop to work on diesels and do it rite. You have a lot better chance of finding a good diesel tech at a Ford dealership to fix it versus a independant shop.
  4. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

How did you make out.... Was it the oil cooler? Did you contaminate the antifreze? Are you able to do the job yourself Its prety simple>>>>> IM me and send me your phone # maby I can help
  5. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

While your pokin around in there check out the condition of the oil pan--They are notorious for rusting out!---If you didn't describe where it was leaking--That would have been my guess!