1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-350 hub problems

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by heavy duty, Feb 1, 2005.

1. heavy duty

heavy duty Junior Member

Has anyone switched from Ford hubs to Warn? If so ,was it worth it?I have the Automatic hubs with the manual override option on my 2002.The stock hubs have been a pain from the beginning.You can never count on them when you need them(a-lot).The worst part is that now I dont trust them to disengage when I go back to 2 wheel.Cleaning and lube, only help short term.Are Warn any better or is there something Im not doing?

2. they do go out. i have a 2000 and mine went out, took them off and let them soak over night in solvent then lubed them well and have not had any problems yet, did that last winter

3. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

We had the Ford auto hubs on our 1996 F250 PSD. At 25,000 miles one of them broke. We put on Warn manual hubs and have never had a problem since. I deffinately would recomend manual hubs over the factory auto junk.

4. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

The 96 auto hub is a different hub then the SD trucks use. I just converted to Warn premium hubs on my 2000 F350. I am very happy with them. You need pliers, phillips screwdriver, 9/64 allen, tub of grease to put a thin film of grease on all hub parts, and anti-seize for the allen bolts. It takes only 45 minutes to do both, including a beverage break. You will also want to unplug the 4x4 vacuum switch (white plastic) on the r. fender just in front of the vacuum canister so you do not have a vacuum leak when 4x4 is engaged. You do not need the conversion kit on SD axles. (SD axles will not use the small snap ring in the kit.) I do not have the part# handy for the hubs.