1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-350 Hard Starting

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jesse, Nov 2, 2004.

1. jesse

jesse Junior Member

I have a 2001 F-350 that has a hard time starting when the temp. outside drops below 50 degrees. I never have any problem during the summer months. Would this have to due to weak batteries, glow plugs being out,glow plug relay, etc.??

2. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Yes, could be any or all the above.

3. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Is it a diesel? If so I'd say 90% of the starting problems (if it turns over fast) is the glow plug related. The light may come on, but that doesn't mean they are powered up. Check the relay and check to see that each of them are receiving power.

4. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Crash this is a 2001 so you can not check the glo plugs as there are under the valve covers unlike the IDI 7.3's

5. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Read THIS article. It will show you how to test the glow plugs.

If you engine has less than 100,000 miles on it I would doubt it would be your glow plugs. Start by jumping the GPR (glow plug relay) at the 2 large posts on top. Turn the key to the on position, jump the 2 posts for a minute, then try to start the engine. If it doesn't start it might be the glow plugs.

6. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Thanks Dwan - I guess I'm stuck in the stone age!

7. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

I had the same trouble Glow plug relay was my trouble easy test at the dealer and 85 dollar part easy to change yourself.

8. George C

George C Senior Member

Sounds like a glow plug relay to me.
    This is not related to your problem, but synthetic oil makes a huge difference in the ease of starting a diesel..

9. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

There is a MUCH cheaper relay made by Stancor. You can get it at NAPA. I will locate the part number. It costs around $120.00 and supposedly lasts way longer than the Ford relay.

10. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Auto Zone relay MR99
    Napa GPR 109
    Glow Plugs only use Motorcraft Beru brand (Auto Zone) ZD-11 is the newest part #.
    Well now that I looked at the link Plowmeister has I guess this was redundant. The only comments I have is I believe the ohm reading for the gp's as read at the plug outside the valve cover is 0.9-1.2 ohms. And if you loosen and pivot the alternator (94-97) or A/C compressor (99+) it makes the passenger side v/c easy to remove. Also on 99+ check the air intake heater element it too helps on cold starts.

11. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

If you need to remove the valve covers be very carfull of the gaskets as they have wires running through them and are expencive to replace.