1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-350 Dump Overheating when plow is attached!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by connormike, Nov 2, 2010.

1. connormike

connormike Junior Member

This is my first dump truck and first plowing experience as of last year, so bare with my terminology.

I have an 83 f-350 dump(PTO) i bought last year to plow with. Runs great for a 27 year old vehicle. I have read in other forums that older ford models overheat when the plow is attached, but my OVERHEATS!! to the point where i drive about 5 miles and the needle pushed to its limit, while the plow is attached. I replaced the original radiator with one double its size and positioned the plow @ every point imaginable to receive max airflow. Is there anything else i can do to stop this?

Also the dump blew on me this summer while dumping a load of concrete. not really sure what happened and or how to fix.

Symptoms:

When I lift the lever to dump the load, it just grinds and the dump doesn't lift.

The guy I bought it from is a SCUM BAG

End of symptoms

Thanks

2. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

does it over heat without the plow?

3. connormike

connormike Junior Member

Yes

The engine only over heats when the plow is attached

4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Replace that thermostat and put HEAVY DUTY AC Fan clutch it should stop overheat.

I would check hydraulic tank for dump to make sure it full.

5. connormike

connormike Junior Member

Thanks for the help, Will do.

6. connormike

connormike Junior Member

@ Milwaukee

will a Imperial Fan Clutch - Severe Duty do the trick?

7. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

Are you running the plow off the PTO? Causing drag/more heat on the engine cooling system. Is it an automatic trans, addin gheat to the radiator?
    Is the lever the PTO engage lever or the dump lever? Did you check to see if the cable/lever needs an adjustment, or if it is binding?
    I added a engine oil cooler to a Mustang that ran way too hot, after trying a 3 and 4 core radiator. The oil cooler did the trick.
    Chad

8. connormike

connormike Junior Member

@ Cotter

cotter
    Junior Member Join Date: Oct 2010

Are you running the plow off the PTO? Causing drag/more heat on the engine cooling system. Is it an automatic trans, addin gheat to the radiator?
    Is the lever the PTO engage lever or the dump lever? Did you check to see if the cable/lever needs an adjustment, or if it is binding?
    I added a engine oil cooler to a Mustang that ran way too hot, after trying a 3 and 4 core radiator. The oil cooler did the trick.
    Chad

I am not running the plow off of an PTO.The dump is a stick, I will check the lever for adjusting and or binding. Thanks for the tips