1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-350 Dully vs F-350

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by viking88, Jan 1, 2011.

1. viking88

viking88 Junior Member
    from 07726

Is there a benefit to purchasing a dually for plowing? I would only be using the truck for plowing.

2. Bigfoot Brent

Bigfoot Brent Senior Member

The only one I could think of would being able to haul more salt than a F350 SRW. If you where even going to have a spreader in the truck.
  3. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Just for plowing would go with a single rear wheel
  4. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Just plowing go with the SRW
  5. fordsuvparts

fordsuvparts Senior Member

The mileage sucks on a DRW versus a SRW and the 4 wheel drive is not near as good. I had two identical F350 trucks one is a dually and one is a single wheel and the dually will get stuck on flat ground the the other will go anywhere. The gearing is very different most of the time.
  6. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I have a duelly GMC I remove the duels and run singles on it for plowing.... I also have a two yard sander on back... IMOP It gets way better traction with singles...
  7. Chipper

Chipper Member

With 900 lbs of sand and a traction lock rear end I'm sure my dually gets better traction then my SWR F-250. Most of the time I don't even use my 4 wheel drive when plowing with the dually.
  8. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

I have no problem with traction on my dually. Fully loaded with salt, fuel and the plow I am weighing in at 12500LBS. I don't know that I would want to carry the same load without the DRW.
  9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

If you are not carrying a large amount of salt then there is NO benefit.
  10. glennemay

glennemay Member

Not unless you are sanding as well and have a large sander. I have an 04 350 DRW Super Crew that I had to put a 9' blade on due to the width of the truck. An 8'6" is doable but with the blade tilted too far my outside tires are in the snow.

Not to mention with all that surface area on the ground the back of the truck floats something ugly in snow. Need VERY aggressive snow tires which I am looking for now.