1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-350 DRW Plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by brentsawyer, Nov 3, 2004.

1. brentsawyer

brentsawyer Junior Member
    from KY

First off I live in Kentucky and we have had only one plowable storm each of the past three years and about 3-4 events that would be salted each FY. Also, there are very few guys around that do plow so info is scarse and dealers are too. So therefore, in this area it dosen't pay to put alot of money into plow equipment and I have yet to put $1 into anything specific for plowing.

However, from what I have learned locally, plows usually charge around $150/hr here. With that said, I am looking at buying a plow and spreader for my F-350 PSD DRW dump. I am thinking that I will be best off with a 9' V-plow and am looking on Ebay, equipmenttraderonline.com and anywhere else and hopefully can find a nice one for around $1,500. As far as a spreader, I don't know what to look for but I do know that I will be targeting/plowing lots in the average size of 1 acre and hopefully get about 5-6 this year to start off. I also have another truck 1/2 ton that I can put a spreader on if I need to run 2 trucks at once. I think that this will be sufficient to make a profit this year and provide some cash flow in the off months of landscaping for me.

What I need help with is recommendations on plows, spreaders, insurance companies, my auto is through Allstate, hourly rates for 9' V-plow, spreader application rates for salting per acre and $ for salting or anything else I need to know before plowing. I know it is alot to ask but believe me, there is hardly anyone around here to get info from. Thanks

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Welcome to PlowSite.Lots of information here and I hope I can give you some to think about - not so much meant that "you should do this or that".

I don't know how good a 9' plow you'll find for $1500, but that's what you'd want for that 350. For the 1/2 ton, you'd want a 7.5'. But, I wonder if a V-plow in your situation is overkill, given the small amount of snow you get. You might be better off putting wings on a straight blade.

That 1/2 ton will not haul the weight of a spreader and the salt. You'll need at least a 3/4 ton for a tail gate model.\

Yo might have a hard time finding General Liability insurance, but start with your current agent.

Need to go for now, maybe someone else will chime in.

3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

For what you are doing, a 8-9' straight blade would be fine. V blades aren't all that. We run 11 trucks and don't use any Vs. Almost 20 years without them, no need to get one now..lol. A standard 8' V Box spreader should do the trick in the dump, unless you have central hydralics and can put a tailgate unit on it. Don't bother with the small 500 - 700 lb tailgate spreaders, they are too small for the lots you are doing. Besides, bulk salt is much cheaper than bagged.

4. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

$1500???

I doubt you will find ANY 9' V-plows for $1500.. My 8'6" Western MVP (V-plow) got mounted new three weeks ago, almost $5,000...

The 9'6" is going for $5,900... For a used V in good condition you are looking at $3200-4000..