1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

f-350 crewcab diesel plow application

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by superd, Nov 28, 2002.

1. superd

superd Junior Member

2001 f-350 diesel srw. highest front axle weight
    rating.Crew cab 172" wheelbase
    anyone mount a vee plow such as western or fisher etc.?? This seem to be taboo due to
    weight ratings etc but, will it work or are problems unavoidable?? Obviously, weight is on front end only when raised!!
    What about rear ballast??

thanks!! mark d.
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Mark, as you know the crew cab already has a lot of weight on the front end.I do know you will be seriously overweight with any V plow.Steering may be hard when going slow,as you know front end wear will be high.Ballast at the rear of the bed will help a lot.it will tranfer weight to the rear.id put about 1000 lbs miniumum ballast if you can.There is a crewcab PSD around here with an 8'6" EZ V on it,it is a short bed F350,he has a small v box in it,the truck looks ot handle the plow fine.I have a Ram 2500 with a 9'2" Boss V on it,its Quad cab diesel,so its heavy too.Ive had zero problems so far,but i knwo its overweight.I do run ballast though,About 1000- 3000LBs worth.if you get the lpow,amke sure to keep your front tires at maximum pressure (80PSI),and have the front end checked often,good luck.
  3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Welcome to Plowsite!:drinkup:

This has been discussed recently, I did a quick search for you, ignore the Chevy topics.

Your front axle is the same as the one under my F-550, which has a GVWR of 17,500, so even though your axle is rated for x amount, it's capable of more. Is your GVWR 9900 as on regular cab 350s?

I personally wouldn't be concerned with mounting a plow on that truck, just make sure your tires are heavy enough.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2002