1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-350 can't decide which gear to stay in

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Deershack, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

I'm looking at a 97 F-350 with the 460 and 4.10 rear. Don't know what tranny it has. Owner says the truck pulls ok but will shift real hard between 1st and 2nd if you accelerate steadily but if you feather it just before the shift, it is fine. Also at highway speed (55) it can't decide if it should be in high or OD and shifts back and forth. Apparently pushing the OD button sometimes helps. Very interested in the truck but don't want to buy a tranny bill just to get the truck.

Anyone have similar experience? Anythought as to what the problem might be, fixes and costs?
  2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

you have the e4od transmission. there are many quirks to this transmission. they are very reliable if the fluid and filter is changed regulary and the trans is not overheated. being its in a 13 year old truck, who knows what it's been subjected to. they also benefit greatly from the installation of a shift kit.

a lot of the fixes are simple and cheap, but in the event it needs a rebuild, it can get quite costly.

here's a good place to start http://www.becontrols.com/ourfaqs/e4odtroubleshooting_1.htm

i would keep reading up on internet articles as i'm sure someone has experienced your exact problem before and hopefully its one of those simple fixes and not something that requires a rebuild.