1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by JTS Landscaping & Lawn Service, Nov 10, 2007.

1. i have the 97 F-250HD never plowed with ford are they good and handle plows good i have a 8' boss off my other truck will be putting on this one when get mounts and all. just curious ive always had a gmc 2500
  2. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Well, that's a matter of opinion, but I think my F250 is one of the BEST plow trucks out there. You can't lose with the engine selection and a solid front axle is super durable. Also, my 04 is the last year for leaf spring front suspension, which I prefer.

But other than that, I think that Ford makes the best plow truck on the market. You should be in really good shape.
  3. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

uh-oh, read below
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  4. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

Hehe! Not trying to rock the boat, but you should have stuck with the GMC. It seems with Ford, you either get a good one or you don't. The 02' F-250 was great at 40-60,000 miles. Once I hit 60,000 miles, it seemed like everything took a crap.
    Sway bar bushing replacements(2 times), rod end links, upper and lower ball joints, drag link ends, u-joints, new lock-outs(go with WARN), hub and bearing assembly(both sides at a nice $700 repair per side), and exhaust manifold studs(which I never replaced because Ford wanted $2000, you will find that very common on the 99'-04'). So I think at about 70,000 miles when I went to check the oil level and the f*ing dipstick tube fell of at the engine block, and I spent 4 hours extracting the remaining piece, I got on the phone with GMC dealer.
    Those are the most common problems with Ford. I just happened to experience them all. In my opinion those kinda problems should not happen to a truck with that kinda mileage. However, if I had to do it all over again I would NOT get one with automatic 4wd. Sorry for the lengthy opinion. Good Luck !
  5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I love my 06 F250 SD. You cant go wrong with a solid front axle! We have a 02 Chevy 3/4 at our shop and it has a turning radius of a semi, I hate plowing with that thing and whats up with the ******** mirrors? It seems they only let you see a small portion of anything when backing up.:confused: You'll be fine, thats probably one of the best plowing trucks out there!
  6. J29

J29 Senior Member

I believe the 97s still had the twin traction beams, not the full solid axle. I was never a big fan of those, but that's just my opinion. My local highway department plows with several of those and have never had a huge problem though. You should be just fine running a Boss or whatever 8 footer on there. Lets see some pics when you get it all mounted up. J.
  7. thanks for the info. i know with the gmc i made it 4yrs with out tranny or any other problems plowing other then front sag some what with torsion bars tightend. i really like that truck was best out all so far. but seems like the solid axle and leaf springs on the front might hold better then just shocks. so hopefully will do me some good. just have to finish putting the mount and wiring on it soon will be ready for the snow.
  8. Focker

Focker Member

Sounds like someone beat the hell out of their truck!!! It doesnt matter what brand of truck you drive, if you work the hell out of it, things are going to fail and wear out! I love my Ford and it plows great, just take care of the new one and you will be fine!
  9. chas4x4

chas4x4 Senior Member

I have a 97 250hd and have owned it for 6 years the first I plowed with it the way it was set up and it worked fine the second year I put timbrens on the front made a huge difference the way it handled the plow that's the first thing I would put on.
  10. Tuxx

Tuxx Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

If it has the twin traction,that could be its weakest link.We had 2 at work and broke both front ends other than that just the basic stuff that wears out.No motor or trans problems