1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-250 sudden electrical problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by theguynextdoor, Sep 26, 2009.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

2000 F-250 V8 Gas-->While working today my battery gauge was lower than normal and the battery light was on. After one lawn, the truck barrely started. Next lawn, it would not start so I jumped it with the mower. Then while driving all the gauges started going down, lights dimming, and then the truck just died out. I thought for sure it was the alternator, but I put a new one in and it still will not stay running. It only stays running while connected to my other truck with jumper cables. Stays running for about 20-30 seconds and then dies out. I am taking the battery to be tested tomorrow.

Any ideas as to why this is suddenly happening. I havn't had any problems before today.

thank you
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Check fuse number 46 10 amp mini had the same problem.Or it could be a bad cell in the battery.
  3. JTK324

JTK324 Senior Member

Sounds like a bad battery
  4. theguynextdoor

Well I took the battery to pep boys and it tested at 68 amps, not the rated 650 amps. I bought a new 850 amp battery and put it in. The truck seems ok now, but the battery light is still on and now my radio doesn't work. We will see if it holds charge over night. I havn't looked into the radio situation yet.

Thanks for the hint grandview. I'll take a look.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The codes need to be cleared and the battery light should go out. Pep Boys should be able to clear the codes.
  6. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Did you recharge the battery or they just tested the drained battery?
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Are the gauges flat?
  8. theguynextdoor

The battery would still work after the recharge, but wasn't great and I don't want to risk it with plowing coming up. The guages work as of now. I will see if it starts tomorrow. If not, then there a bad ground somewhere, although I don't know how that could happen suddenly. I will also check that fuse.