1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-250 or Sierra 2500?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by hcr400ex, Nov 6, 2005.

1. hcr400ex

hcr400ex Junior Member

I went and looked at a couple trucks tonight and two really stuck out at me. The first was a 97 f-250HD with the 5.8, meyers snowplow, 87k miles. The truck looked to be in excellent condition, needs tires for the winter, no rust at all, clean interior, but the plow was pretty rusted out and would difinitely need a new blade.
    The second was a 97? GMC Sierra 2500 with the 6.5 diesel, with 123k miles. This truck was excellent inside and out, good tires, but it had no plow.
    Both these trucks were regular cab, long beds, both selling for $7,500. I really like both trucks, but I don't know much about the GMC diesel and I didn't really like the meyers plow. So if YOU had to decide which would it be?
  2. bow hunter

bow hunter Junior Member

for plowing the ford is the only choice.the suspention is much better much more upgradable,ford is just a tougher truck,bar none.
  3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The for supension is not better than the GM's. The TTB on those years trucks were problematic at best. However the engine in the ford is alot better than the 6.5 diesel. So against every fiber of my being, I would buy the Ford over the chevy.
    The fornt end of the ford is alot cheaper and easier to upgrade than to repair or upgrade the 6.5
  4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I dont know what you think is better about a Ford suspension. I have never seen anything good about them, and I have seen a lot of them having problems, balljoints and tierods failing. I dont know if that F250 has a TTB frontend like the 150s did, but if so thats the worst suspension system EVER! It's been over 20 years and people still think of the Chevy torsion bar front suspension as being weak. Get a clue, they are stronger and more reliable than Ford. AND they ride far better. Maybe that's why Ford is copying their design on the new F150s. And the GM is upgradeable and adjustable, adjusting the torsion arms is fairly simple, and if that doesnt get you enough you can change the torsion bar keys for more height. Or you can use Timbrens. The 5.8 is a good motor, the 6.5 has a kind of a bad rep, only because it is indirect injection and non-intercooled like the newer diesels, not pushing 300+ hp like everything is now. My 6.5 has plenty of power, in fact I cant wait to push snow with it this year for the first time. The diesel will last for a long time and doesnt work as hard to achieve the same results.

I don't know, I can't imagine not knowing what brand of truck to buy. I suppose the best thing to do is test drive them and let the truck decide for you. Even if I wasn't a hardcore Chevy man, I would lean toward the truck that doesnt have a plow, because who knows how bad the one with a plow has been hammered. A lot of people dont know how to plow without beating a truck half to death. And the Meyers needs to be replaced anyway, I personally wouldnt own a Meyers plow if you paid me. So my recommendation is to get the Gm and put a 8' minute mount Fisher on it. At least your looking in the right direction as far buying a 3/4 ton for plowing.
  5. Detroitdan

Ford is just a tougher truck?! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
  6. hcr400ex

hcr400ex Junior Member

I am not really brand loyal, but my dad is MOPAR loyal, so he says both trucks are $h!t. Right now I am just looking for a heavy duty work truck, thats going to be reliable. If I can atleast pay off this truck over the winter plowing, I plan on takeing out a loan on my play truck come spring time, Dodge Ram 2500 with a 12 valve cummins to smoke out all the little imports running around town.

I am going to test drive both these trucks tomorrow, since the dealer was closed when I looked at them today. I am going to see if the guy can switch that meyers with an 8' western he has mounted on another 94 f-250 on the lot. This would be my truck of choice, because I really don't have enough money to buy the GMC and a plow.
  7. Detroitdan

lowball him on the price. $7500 is just a little steep. I doubt the other guy will swap plows, too much labor for no money. I couldnt even get a dealer to swap a set of wheels for me one time.
  8. Detroitdan

Sorry to hear about your dad, senile dementia is sad. ;>
  9. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

10. bow hunter

bow hunter Junior Member

yea you love to fix your GM's you want to get some work done ....get a ford I spnd my time behind the wheel nor the wrench. Keep fixing thm boys. 30 years with ford spent about 500 in parts.you gotta love your truck but you know as well as i do the ford is the best.towed many gms.when will you learn.

jr at mall 004.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  11. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Keep thinking that. My dad's gotta ford and his is always breaking, he even tells himself, shoulda bought chevy. Lets not make this a brand loyalty war.
  12. westwind

westwind Member

We own both Ford and Chevy/GMC , Also have a couple in the same year that you are looking at. That said, the chevy's have been more problem free over the years, but both have thier issues. The 6.5 is plenty of motor for snow, but does lack the pulling power compared to the new diesel engines. The ford does have a solid front axle, but in my opinion that pales in comparison to the ball joint problems in the front end. The Chevy for 7000.00 sounds like the better buy. Good Luck!
  13. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

Ford & meyers

Go with the FORD & MEYERS, I have plowed with both Ford & Chevy, Take my word for it go with the Ford/meyer set-up. I used to be a Chevy man until some years ago, My older brother has always been a Ford man he used to laugh at me with all the problems I would have with my Chevys, One day a guy made me a offer I could not pass up (on a ford F-250) that has been 15 years ago and here I am still buying FORD !!!
  14. hcr400ex

hcr400ex Junior Member

Thanks for all the reply guys, but i was looking for more facts than opinions. I figured when I started this thread it would go into a brand war, but if you could give me reasons why you say one is better then the other that would difinitely help more. Thanks for the quick replys though!

I just got off the phone with the dealer and I will be going to test drive both trucks after work tonight, and see which one I like better.

LMAO, I must say he has over 200k miles on his 99 2500 with the cummins, and the only major problem he had was the tranny went after 130k miles, which then got replaced full blown DTT.
  15. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

I have the 97 F250HD with a Diamond 8 foot blade on it. This truck has 190K on it and still works as hard as the day it was bought. The front end is stiffer then the GMC but it barely moves when you lift the plow. Get the one you like the best.
  16. Detroitdan

I think I saw that Ford you're talking about on Ebay, a white one with the blade in the bed? They didnt mention anything about the plow being rough.
  17. hcr400ex

hcr400ex Junior Member

No this one is dark green.

I went today to test drive it and the minute I start going I noticed it pulls real bad, so I stop before we even get out of the parking lot. The front right caliper locked up. Also the GMC was getting all the fluids changed so I couldn't drive that either. Basically it was a wasted trip. I did look everything over real good on both trucks and the only problem I found was the tailgate on the Ford did not work, which I've noticed is pretty typical on older Fords...

I am not sure when I will be able to get back there to drive them because I have work the next couples days, but they did say they would hold both until the end of the week.
  18. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

The 6.5 diesels have a bad name based on when they first came out. They did have a lot of problems, but over the years numerous improvements were made and the later ones are good motors. Of course all the current diesels (Ford, Dodge and Chevy) are better, but the 6.5 is still a good motor.
    I think you'll like the diesel, as long as being able to race cars isn't a priority.
    During the winter I definitely recommend synthetic oil on a diesel for easier starting, so you will probably spend more on oil changes. (Of course you can run synthetic oil longer, so it is not that much more.)
    I don't have any experience with Ford trucks, so I won't give any advice either way there, but I've had three GM trucks ('73 Chevy C-20, '80 Chevy K-20, and '87 GMC V-3500) and they were all good, reliable trucks. The '87 had a plow on it when I got it and had flipped the odometer at least once. If it wasn't for the rust (and the 7mpg) I wouldn't have stopped using it.
  19. Big Human

Big Human Junior Member

What I'm going to tell you is straight up. :salute: Be wery of the truck with the blade on it as it is well known that PLOWING SNOW is abnormal/severe wear and tear on the trucks. I have plowed with both trucks. Each one has it's (+)'S and (-)'s. It finally comes down to what you like/what truck do you like the feel of. Before you buy a used truck I would highly recommend that you have the oil analyzed. You can get that done at any Caterpillar dealership. It normally take only 24 hrs to turn around. It can save you BIG dollars in the long run. And provides a peace of mind in buying a used vechicle. Now here is my Pro's and Con's.

Both trucks as well as all trucks have their ups and downs as far as problems are concerned.

The is the the TTb (Twin Traction Beam) it puts to much of a load on the tie rod ends and ball joints, Hence causing the problems. Not to expensive to fix. (Look for a F350 they had the solid front axle. No problems with it.) The 5.8L/351CI engine is a great engine, But plan on making at least one maybe two fuel stops in the middle of the night.:nod: Not great on the fuel economy (I always looked bigger 7.5l/460 do to the close to the same fuel economy(5.8l =10 vs. 7.5=8). Tranny - you never stated if it was an auto or std. Normal, wear and tear.

The 6.5L turbo diesel engine is heavier than the gas models and it does have a effect when combined with the weight of the blade. But does not cause damage. Unless you bottom out the front end and hit the curb. Head whip. You will more than likely have a problem with the Four wheel drive accumilator in the front. (about 150.00) Most, important is the condition of the diesel engine. The 6.5 is known for head gaskets and cracked heads but this normally happens around 200K. It is very expesive to repair. The cost depends on if it was caught before the bearings got smeared/wiped out. But once the head gasket goes it's only the start of problems. payup

Great power and torque for the engine. Preform the basic maintaince and you should be okay. Sits higher and less likely to hit the curb with front frame.

Great fuel economy. You can almost plow for two days straight on a tank of fuel. Lots of power and torque so much that you think that you can plow through anything. That is of course before your tires start slipping.

I hope that this helps. :cool:
  20. Detroitdan

like I said, its usually better to be the one to install a plow, instead of buying a plowtruck that may have been driven by an animal. Somebody else pointed out, the 97 GM 6.5 has the cooling upgrade to clear up any overheating worries. Old design sent the coolant in one head then over to the second head, by the time it got past the last cylinder it was hot again. New design has two thermostats and runs cool coolant to each head seperately, as well as a better fan. Diesels in my experience come with the towing package which includes heavy duty oil and trans coolers, very important for plowing. really the only problem the 6.5 is known for after 97 is the PMD (pump mounted driver) electronic device mounted on the injector pump where it can be destroyed by heat. When it goes (like mine just did) it causes intermittent stalling and occasional hard starting. Not cheap to replace, but only goes every 100,000 miles or so. Usually misdiagnosed as the injector pump, reason being that the dealers get paid more for replacing a $2000 pump under warranty than a $300 PMD. The one you are looking at is out of warranty. I love the daylihts out of mine, has an absolutely incredible ride, comfortable seats, all the toys and a locking rear axle, looks nice and still gets compliments going on ten years old. Only thing I dislike about my 97 is that its an extended cab not a crewcab, I couldnt find one at the time, and in 97 the 3500s didnt get the third door like the 1500s and maybe the 2500s did. So it's a pain in the bag to put the carseats in the back. But thankfully I dont have to do that very often.