1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-250 - nothing major, just advertising my threads

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bigjeeping, Mar 1, 2006.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I like the tree idea.
    Do you need to take out the hitch?

3. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

yes I need to take it out! I need to be able to interchange 2 hitches. one has a 2" and one has a 2-5/16"... depending on which truck is hauling which trailer, i'll need to be able to switch them out from time to time.

4. grandview

Go with the heat and don't forget to protect the plastic on the bumper and your spare tire.

5. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

Use an air hammer on all sides of the hitch head.

6. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

going to be hard to get that rust off the wheels

7. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

The wheel is done. It has a clear powder coating and the hot metal from the brakes grinding has melted in to it. Look on the web for a wheel refinisher as that is going to be the least expensive way out for a wheel.
    As far as the hitch. Buy a new one. Heating it will degrade the metals strengt and what you save on heating it to grt it loose might bite you in the @#$ while towing. Is $200 worth an accident with your trailer?

8. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

You could try dry ice on the draw bar... cooling the draw bar will shrink the metal... it might be just enough to get it out...

9. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

I'm a kid...And If my Dad wasn't with me...The tree Idea would be great. In fact...We did that with an E-150 Conversion Van....Worked great. My dad beat the HECK out of it...He couldn't get it...So I told him to back up to this tree. I tied everything off, and toldhim to get up to 10 mph and put your seat belt on.

Worked...And we sanded it down after it was done.

10. grandview

Well what happened did you get it out?:confused:

11. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Why don't you just change the balls and not the drawbar? It would take like 30 seconds with a good monkey wrench.:confused:

12. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Dont listen to the guys bashing the tree idea. It'll work, just tie it to a tree and do a burnout so you get maximum tourqe. Oh and please video tape it! xysport :D :salute:

Also, if you dont want to use the tree idea, tie it to a telephone pole (sunk down better, haha), or a fire hydrant, or hell, just have your kid hold one end of the chain!!! :p

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  13. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Need to have any teeth pulled out of someone?

-Thann

14. Fordistough

from USA

Just leave the male hitch in and change out the balls when you need to. One of my trucks has this ball that just looks like a stick shooting strait up in the air, and you put a ball on top of it, and incert a pin, that way you don't even need to tighten or loosen the nut to change it.

P.S. Balls are only like $5.00/each

-Thann

15. snowbiter

snowbiter Member

If you haven't go it out yet you might want to get under the truck with a breaker bar and remove the hitch from the truck --then with it on the ground -- try standing on it and hit it with the sledge ---I did this with my hitch and it took a long time-- just keep hitting away until it starts to come out-- it might not come out all at once --just keep on hitting until it does-- I spent half a day banging on mine --something the neighbors loved!

16. Fordistough

from USA

Maybe next time get a stainless steel hitch. I costs like $40. Well worth it.

-Thann

17. JeepCreepn01

JeepCreepn01 Senior Member
    from Ohio

my hitch got stuck once, i tried heating it up and it didnt work, so i got some PB Blaster and socked it, really good a few times through out the day, next day hooked it to a phone pole and came out, i then went with stainless

18. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

MARK VERY BAD IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fire hydrants are designed to break free if something hits them. There are 8 to 12 grade two bolts holding the upper half to the bottom half. Yanking on it will just snap the bolts and get you a nice fine from the department of public works. :eek:

19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I believe(Mark) he was being sarcastic..LOL:waving:
    Just have your kid hold onto the chainxysport

20. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

dude comon, i was join around. Lighten up bro have a little fun....

TIE it to the fire hydrant and go at it, and make sure its on camera!!! LOL... or just give your kid a pair of skates, or heck, give him a sled, and have him hold it, and LET R RIP!!!