1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-250 mount

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Sprinkler Guy, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Sprinkler Guy

Sprinkler Guy Junior Member

I purchased a new Boss Plow a couple of months ago. I have not used it yet, but I was changing the oil on my truck and started to check the torque on all of the mount bolts. I noticed that all of the bolt that attach the mount to the truck frame were loose. When I tried to tighten them the head of the bolt on the inside of the frame was spinning. I spoke to the dealer about this and he said that he would try and tighten them but did not sound sure of himself.

What is the proper procedure for tightening those bolts without having access to the heads that are concealed in the frame.

Thank you,
  2. timberjack

timberjack Member

What year F250 have you got it installed on?

I just finished mine, and the ones that went into the framerail had a piece of long flatbar (about 1/2" wide x 3/16" thick, Boss calls them a "bolt bar" in the installation manual) welded to the bolt heads that were in a remote spot. There's no way you'll get a wrench on them, at least on my truck.

The flatbar holds them perfectly to torque the nut on from the outside. Sounds like if that's what was on yours, the bar broke off before it was torqued. Poor weld maybe.

Probably worst case will be to torch that bolt off, and have a go with another bolt bar.
  3. Deco

Deco Senior Member

4. Sprinkler Guy

F250 Mount

Thanks Timberjack and Deco. My truck is an "06". I guess that would be relevent. I took it back to the plow dealer today. The mechanic said that he could reach 4 of the bolts and used a vice grip on the threads on the last 2. I will re-check them tomorrow. I would not recomend these guys to anyone.
  5. 4wydnr

4wydnr Senior Member
    from N. IL

I made my own with some 3/8 bar and the welder. Add in a little creative bending and your good to go.
  6. wtfgreen

wtfgreen Junior Member

Sprinkler, where in MI are you? I don't want to go to the same dealer...
  7. Sprinkler Guy

Southern Wayne County....Trenton
  8. Sprinkler Guy

Dealer fixed problem

Just wanted to let you guys know that I took my truck back to the plow dealer and they torked the bolts. They had to use a vise grip on 2 that they couldn't get to. Thanks for the advice.
  9. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

its not hard at all to get in there, i had no problem installing mine. thought it was gonna be a real pain but not at all. in order to tighten them youll need to remove the bumper, take off the tow hooks and have a longer 3/4in? box wrench. just reach the wrench in there, hold back on the head of the bolt and tighten the nut on the other side.that back one is a little tight to get in there but i dont have small hands or forearms so if i can do it im thinkin most people should be able to. shouldnt take ya more then an hour to take it apart, retorque em all and get it back togerther.