1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-250 LD gas tank

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MickiRig1, Oct 24, 2013.

1. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Replacing my gas tank on a 99 F-250LD. I need to know. The rear pressure sensor and the front vent. How do are they held in there? The tank still up and attached. Do they turn out and come up ? Taking them out before dropping the tank would make it easier. Trying to get old hoses and connectors loose is a bummer! The fuel lines with the spring collars are such a joy! I spent an hour getting the first one to disengage! Got all the parts, just need to get the old one out!

2. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Just curious, are you replacing the tank due to rotted tank straps that rotted the tank?? If so Ford has an open recall on the tank straps and will replace the tank IF its already leaking...just an FYI...

I do about 2-3 of these recalls every week and if the tank is being replaced, I just put a new pressure sensor etc in....99% of the time they break coming out, even trying to be carefull.

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Curious what years the recall covers.

4. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Ford is recalling 1.1 million trucks from the 1997 to 2004 model years, including the 1997-2003 Ford F-150, 2004 Ford F-150 Heritage edition, 1997-1999 Ford F-250 (with a gross vehicle weight rating under 8,500 pounds), and 2002-2003 Lincoln Blackwood.

Trucks included in the recall were originally sold or currently registered in the following cold-weather states: Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Washington, D.C.

Exposure to road de-icing chemicals may cause the fuel tank straps to corrode. A fire can start if a dragged fuel tank ruptures from road contact or if the tank falls away completely, causing fuel lines and linkages to leak or break.

Also, if you've paid to have this repair done and can provide proof, Ford will reimburse you. Just go see your local dealers warranty administrator.

It's good to have a Ford tech aboard Plowsite ehh??
    Good luck gents.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Thanks, but can you change that back to 1994 F150s? I got to replace the straps before it ruins the tanks. Pretty sure my 02 F350 has a poly tank, so no worries there.

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

you only have to worry about delamination in the tank if its ploy and a diesel

7. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Never heard of such a thing... I think you have your tanks mixed up. The STEEL tanks liners degenerate over time. That is why they switched to poly. There's nothing in a poly tank to delaminate...

8. MickiRig1

I had already replaced my tank straps before the recall. One had rusted out, just bought a pair, painted them and replaced. I can't blame Ford for the rusted out tank. It's 13 years old in N.E. Ohio. The tank is just fighting me in every way, to get it out. It took me 2 hours to get the spring collar gas line connectors to release. It's down on two 5 gallon paint buckets right now. I need to disconnect the vent lines and the sensor. Dinner ready, out of energy! Finish you tomorrow!

9. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

If you haven't already replaced it....when you go to put the new straps in, go to the dealer and get the updated straps. They are treated with anti corrosive and are much better than ones you will get at auto shops. If you haven't had any tank work done under warranty, they will give them to you. Just be sure to bring your old ones with you to swap.
    I you give me your vin#, I can check oasis to see if you are eligible for the straps.
    Leon

10. MickiRig1

After looking at the new tank. I saw how they come out. Turn and pull out. Your right about the pressure sensor. I pried it up a little and sprayed the hell out of it with PB Blaster. I heard it laugh right before it SNAPPED off! My truck is on recall for straps. My Wife works at a Ford dealer part time. The Service manager is going to fix me up.

A great way to get the hose clamps off. If sparks are not a problem. A Dremil with heavy duty cut off wheel. I don't even play. Cut off and replace.

11. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Good... Glad you'll be getting her fixed up. I gave up trying to swap the pressure sensors, now I just put it in the estimate when replacing a tank.

12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Your right, I thought about it later and said crap that was wrong.....old age sneaking up quicker now.

13. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

That's ok...no biggie. I'm slowly joining you...lol.

14. MickiRig1

See my post in "Off Topic" about DUH moment.

15. MickiRig1

We are all plow brothers here it's cool if you have a brain fart. We educate people I hope. Or help them.