1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-250 Hide-aways In Back up lights

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by DAMSLandscaping, Oct 22, 2005.

1. DAMSLandscaping

DAMSLandscaping Member

I was just wondering if anyone has put Hide-aways in their backup lights in their ford pickup. Ive got a 99 F250sd & didnt know if someone could give me some tips on doing it. Im pretty sure ive got enough room but maybe you have some do's and dont's that you found out the hard way. Ive seen a few posts about it but was hoping for maybe a little more help.

2. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

use a good hole saw and get bulbs that have screws to hold in bases and use silcone and all will work fine

3. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

I put hide-a-ways in the backup lights in my 02 150. It's very tight but its do able just take your time laying out the hole first I put mine in the very small flat spot in the rev. light housing area. I used a uni bit instead of a hole saw much cleaner smoother hole

4. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Same here. Put them in the reverse lights. I also took out the overhead bed lights on either side of the 3rd brake light and put strobes in there. Worked out real well.

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Why chance breaking the expensive lenses? I just use some off-road rubber sealed flood lights tuck them on either side of the hitch and they are bright as hell and I can angle them how I want them to shine. They cost under $15.00 each and I usually get 2 seasons out of them.

6. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I think he's talking about strobes, yes the strobe bulbs will work only in the red part of the lens, there is not enough room in the reverse ( white ) area to mount the bulb unless you do some cutting on the truck. I have no problems running them ( red strobes ) in the metro Detroit area as long as I am plowing.

If you want pics of them installed let me know and I'll post a few.

7. your saying that they will not work in the clear part you must not know what you are talking about iv got mine in the clears back ups, headlights , and front turns if you want pics let me know or and just joking

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Oh yeah strobes, sorry. There were two guys pulled over and fined for using red strobes while plowing last season where I live. One was on a 1 ton dump and the other guy had his new F350 all decked out, it was sweet to look at but I guess illegal. One night plowing I drove by and saw a cop had pulled them over while plowing. I don't know if the cop had a big up his a$$ or what, but the next couple of times out I did not see them "blinking" anymore. Although both vehicles were a little overkill on the lights the dump had probably 4 red strobes (2 in the rear lenses and 2 on the rear of the salt spreader) Yellow strobe on the salt spreader, yellow strobe bar on the cab protector of the dump box, and finally white strobes in the headlights and yellow strobes in the corners of the headlights. His partner used just about the same set up.

9. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

Those bulbs will fit in the rev lights I have them in mine and I know other guys who also have them in the rev lights. As for running them in the red I really don't know if it iilegal or not. my opion, their alot brighter and visable in the white

10. DAMSLandscaping

DAMSLandscaping Member

Hey Thanks a lot for all the tips. I think im going to try it out tomorrow if i dont blow away in the storm thats on its way. I just wont drive down the road with them on. I think in Maine you cant have white flashing anywhere, just amber but not 100% sure. I just want somthing for when im backing out of a driveway for people to see. i got the strobes and power pack for next to nothing so i figured why not. Thanks again! and if you have pics post them! that would be great. and ill do the same when i finally get it all set up!

11. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

I thought you were allowed to have red as long as they were facing the rear of the vehicle?

12. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Trust me I have been plowing for years with my strobes always in the RED part of the tail light, seen many cops, never a problem. I even had red in my light bar for a while ( rear ) no problems ( again seen many police in different cities ) no problems.

My 05 250, I could not find an area to put the strobe bulbs with out cutting something away in the reverse light, I could,nt get the tail light back in, those of you who have pic's or can take pic's ( R & R ) please provide them, I want to see.

Thanks

13. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I put them in both the brake and backup lights of an '05 F250 w/no probs. Works great!

14. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Can you send me a couple of pic's I would like to move mine to the reverse light location. my email address is fbishop@wideopenwest.com

thank you

15. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

romove the bulb and then drill we just did it in my 03 dodge and its was fine tight but fine but let me warn you its really bright and may cause an accident before preventing one next time ill do it in the tail lights

16. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I don't have pics as it was a buddy's truck. I can ask him to take some. BTW, little chance of these causing an accident.

17. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

corner strobes

Just be careful with your wiring. I have a superduty that I installed them in. Due to the connections being behind the wheels the moisture turned into problems. I since pulled them out after too many storms with no lights to work. I now run LED Stars from 911ep under the tailgate and at the corners between the bumper and lights..work better by far!

18. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

Mine went in the back-up lights just fine. A little tight, but it works and is water tight.