1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F 250 Goes out of 4wd

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jerryleight, Dec 15, 2008.

1. jerryleight

jerryleight Junior Member

I have a 2003 F250 super duty deisel. When driving or plowing it comes out of 4 wd even though the lite on the dash still says on 4wd. It will sometimes go back into 4wd and sometimes if you put the switch to 2 wd and back to 4 wd it will go back into 4 wd for awhile and then pop back into 2 wd. Now if I put the switch to 4 wd, no lite no 4 wd
    Is there a solenoid on the transfer case to pull it into 4 wd or something else?

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i had this happin on my dodge a few years back, dunno if the fords arethe same way, but apparently their is a pin or something that when engaged in 4wd would slide inot the transfer case the pin was held in by a c-clamp which broke so sometimes it would go into 4wd and out of no where it would pop out. it was like a 30cent part that failed.

if it happined again i would more then likey check the actuatator, and the lines going to it to make sure they didnt have a leak. and of course this pin on mine.
  3. jerryleight

I fords and dodges do notuse the same system
    Does anyone have any ideas on the ford system?
    It has a electronic system with a switch on the dash to switch into 4wd
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  4. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

mine just did this and then the 4/wd stopped working. it is the motor on the transfer case that switches it in and out of 4/wd. I just got inside from replacing mine.
  5. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

You have to determine if the transfer case is still locked in or not while this problem is occuring. Remember there are two parts to MOST 4x4 systems, the front hubs/or actuator and the transfer case.. You have to start by ruling something out. Keep in mind the front driveline can be engaged and if you roll ahead the driveline will also turn, you have to spin the rear tires and have someone watch the shaft..
  6. jerryleight

I replaced the transfer case motor and it seems to work ok now. Will know more when I start plowing again. How do you know if any codes were set? Do I have to have any codes cleared from the computer? No lites ever came on when I was having this problem.
  7. 02 Stroked

02 Stroked Member

Something like that happened to me the other day. I was in my brother's F-250 and the passenger front hub would work only half of the time. So I had taken it to a shop and it turned out that the hub was destroyed and was fixed $330 later. It sucked but I had to do it. I was in the middle of a storm.
  8. jerryleight

Do I have to worry about any codes to be cleared?