1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-250 fill plug on transfer case

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MickiRig1, Mar 20, 2011.

1. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A plow buddy of mine brought over his newest conquest. A 90 F-250 that someone gave him because the brake lines were gone. It's a decent truck for free. Problem is some one rounded off the 3/8's drive fill plug on the transfer case. How the heck do you get it out? God knows when the fluid was changed last. Why they put steel plugs in an aluminum case I don't know. At least put an external drive plug so you can use a pipe wrench or something?
  2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

just keep spraying in with a good penetrating oil everyday for a week or two.
  3. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Get an old 3/8 extension that you feel like you can part with. fire up the welder and tack it to the fill plug good enough that it wont break off. once it starts cooling down spray it with free all. since the metal is expanded as it cools the penetrationing fluid should get whicked right into the threads if that makes sence. what ever you do do not try and take it out untill after it has cooled. youve expanded the plug from the heat of the welder but not the surrounding metal of the transfercase. wait till it cools!
  4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I completly agree with the snowman, that was my first thought too.
  5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

and after you get the plug out, trans fluid goes in. not gear oil
  6. MickiRig1

Oh both of us know what fluid to use. My Wife is like Oh My God there is 2 of you. WE are like brothers. I think about how to fix it for the last few days. We will fix it.
  7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

just making sure micki.
    i have seen mechanics in gas stations who have been pulling wrenches for 30 years swear that the BW1356 t-case takes 90 weight, only to have it come back blown up because of pump failure.
  8. MickiRig1

It's cooI. know what it takes. I always get the book on stuff. Mike is the same way. He has a 93 that we are trying to figure out why it will not do over 30 MPH some days. We have gone over this truck with a fine tooth comb! He rode around with my fuel pressure gage attached to the fuel rail for a week. It ran great all week! It starts running bad and before he can get it to me it clears up. One of these days we will find the gremlin!