1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

f-250,f-350 same truck??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by c.t. lawn care, Feb 22, 2004.

1. c.t. lawn care

c.t. lawn care Senior Member

ok, i was looking over the specs. for the f-250 and f-350 and they have the same weight front axels and same spring weight ablilities in the back??? what is the differance than?? i know they say it has a gvw of 9900lbs but how can it handel more if it has the same hardwear??? am i missing something here?? by the way i am looking at the srw f-350.. looks to me like if i want to carry more i have to get a drw??
  2. c.t. lawn care

c.t. lawn care Senior Member

3. psdiesel24

psdiesel24 Member

The rear of a 350 has one extra spring than a 250 i asked the service guy at the ford deal. This is what he told me thats why the gvw is higher on a 350 other wise completely the same truck
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Are you sure you don't have heavy duty vers regular duty axles on the F-350? Plus other heavy duty parts vers regular duty?
    Load limit's not the only thing that sets an F-350 from an F-250 a part. The F-350's a heaver duty truck built tougher to do more.
  5. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

6. snowbiter

snowbiter Member

The F350 has a 4in lifting block on the rear axle as the F250
    has a 2in one which gives the F350 more give on the rear
    springs. I think the stock tires might be different also--possibly
    a heavier weight rated tire but not sure. You can also legally
    carry more weight.
  7. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

If you are basing Ford's info off of what type of truck to get, you still should go with the F350. No matter what statistically is the same, it can legally carry more weight, and I have always found that it does not take much for my 96 F250 to be 8800 lbs. I am not sure about actual differences in the trucks, but the F350 does have larger axle blocks in the rear as someone already stated, and the springs in the F350 may be sprung differently than the F250, even though they both are rated for the same gross weight. In any case, the cost difference between a F350 and a F250 is nut much, but I think well worth it.
  8. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

LEGALLY you can carry whatever you are plated for. There are no laws that stipulate what a pickup truck can carry. The sticker in the door jamb is the Ford rated capacity. Not the legal capacity. If you have a 7,000# plate, that is all you can weigh legally. This is kinda crazy since most 3/4 and 1 ton truckas are already pushing 7,000#'s empty.

MikiRig, the 350 is built no differently than the 250 with the exception of spring rates and capacities. They have the same frames, axles, cabs, engines, etc.
  9. crashz

crashz Senior Member

You can register and insure a commercial vehicle for whatever weight you want. But if the GVWR of the truck is exceeded you pay a penalty and may have to leave the truck at the side of the road. You can also pay a penalty for exceeding GAWR is some states. The GVWR on the door sticker is the max weight that can be legally carrried.
  10. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

That is only for medium duty through heavy duty trucks. The sticker in the door is only a Ford guideline. Plus, this will only pertain to you if you are hauling commercially. Even then, if you get pulled over and a DOT gives you a problem, just tell them you upgraded the axle to a D-80 or something. They will never know. They are only concerned with big trucks. I used to haul a 6 car carrier with a CH Mack. I have had my CDL for a long time. I have a very good understanding of weight laws and bridge weights..
  11. Manx

Manx Senior Member

It's been a argument for a while over at Dieselstop.com
    They are the same truck starting in 02, before that the springs were different.
    The difference in load rating is all based on the std. tires the come on them, the F250 has 235's std that are rated at 3,042 lbs
    and the F350 has the 265's std. that are rated at 3,415 lbs
    they rated for GVWR based on Std. equipment
    They have the same frame.axles,brakes and springs

there is a 2" block vs. a 4" block under the rear axle also
    as someone else pointed out.
    So the F350 does sit taller in the back

The real funny part is, the guys that own F250's are happy
    the F350 crowd thinks there trucks are better becuse they paid
    800 bucks more and they say so ?
  12. dag-otto

dag-otto Member

Does anyone know the part number to the 4inch block? Can I just swap the 2inch with the F350's 4inch without changing anything else on my F250?
  13. Manx

Manx Senior Member

I don't have the part no. of the blocks
    But they can help you at the Ford part's department
    If I remember right there 30-40 bucks

But allot of people swap the blocks
    You need to change the U bolts also
  14. dag-otto

dag-otto Member

Cool, thanks for the info Manx

15. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Junior Member

i think the f350 comes with more leafs in the rear also...
  16. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

It depends on the suspention package that you get. My 99 F-350 dually had 5 springs in the stack from the factory, then I had another 4 added, one into the stack and 3 overloads onto the top. My 03 F-350 single rear wheel came from the factory with seven springs, 5 in the stack and 2 overloads on the top. I know that on my buddies 2000 F-250 he has just the 5 springs in the stack like my 99 F-350 did.
  17. Manx

Manx Senior Member

Starting in 02
    F250's and F350's SRW have the same springs and overloads

A std cab. F250 w/5.4 and no options is now the only SRW truck that comes with out the overload spring

All else have the same rear springs no matter what payload options (there's only 1 rear spring per Ford's spec.)
    On the front there are 5 differnt springs depending on what payload options and eng thou
  18. dag-otto

dag-otto Member

Holy crap! 2003 F250/F350 4inch blocks
    No stock USA or Canada! Ordered some on pre-backorder :)
  19. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Manx, how can it be that I saw a F350 srw ext. cab short bed 4x4 in a dealers lot today that had no overload springs. the truck had the 6.0 psd too. Gvwr on the sticker said 9700 lbs. I thought the srw 350's had a 9900 lbs. gvwr. maybe the short bed gives it 200 less. ???????
  20. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

No overloads on the new 6.0 cause the weight of the engine you can only get so much in the bed B4 you are over the sticker..
    All the years springs are the same for SRW trucks...Options vary
    with plow and towing packages. Blocks, tires,ego,door sticker and emblems...are the differences...