1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-250 Brake Questions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Load-4, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Load-4

Load-4 Junior Member

I've got 2 questions about my 2004 F-250 brakes, and would appreciate any and all feedback.
    First one.. My brakes are ready for a refurb (Rotors and Pads). I am looking for input on manufactures that make a good product. Something that will last, and take the plow abuse. As usual, the OEM Ford hardware has to go (pads and rotors,not the calipers) as it has outlived its service life. I am particularly interested in feedback from anyone who has used the following manufactures: Power Slot, Powerstop, and Aimco. If you have any other favorites, please give feedback.
    Second... I have replaced Pads and Rotors in several other vehicles, but have not done so on this truck. I will assume that once the caliper is removed, the rotor should be free to remove. What I would like to hear about is any "tricks of the trade" that would be unique to this truck (i.e. caliper bolt size, any snap rings, etc). It is an '04 F-250 plow truck w/ manual lock hubs.
    I'll leave this post up and check it periodically. Thanks in advance

2. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

I've had a mechanic advise me to NOT buy ANY rotors that have slots or groves in them, -as those slots or groves tend to pack up with crud in the winter and lead to premature rotor failure, -or at least the need to change them out more often. -And around here (Central New York State) they love to use sand and or salt in the winter. Someone else may have more to say on this topic. Other than that I too would be interested in finding a good quality replacement for pads and rotors for an F250! Thanks. ;)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well I did my f250 2002 last yr I did the fronts only so with that. For the most part the caliper comes off like all the other ones. As for the rotor you need to take off the bracket that the rotor sits in between. Then the rotor will come off ,may need a love tap to get it off.Check the slide pins in the caliper so they are free of rust and grease them.As for pads and rotors I used good ones and cheap ones ,not to much of a difference, for pads go with the best ones you can get,some guys use ceramic pads.

I'm sure BB will give a more detailed plan but this was the basic.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

One of the big things on the supers is what GV already mentioned, making sure the slider pins are free and well lubricated with the CORRECT product. Which isn't anti seize like many guys think is appropriate for a brake application...you want to use a good quality silicone based brake lubricate designed specifically for brake parts. You can get it at any parts store, nothing exotic about it.

The second important thing on these trucks is to be sure and remove the stainless steel slide plates that the pads ride in on the caliper bracket in order to clean/remove any rust that has built up under the plate. The rust build up pinches the pads in the bracket, causing the pads to bind up and can create poor braking performance since the pads can't freely slide on the plates. It's also the common cause for rusted/de-laminated rotors that many people dont realizes. The GM's trucks are notorious for this as well, especially on the rear. When you re-install the pads...if you have to force them in the bracket, then they're still too tight. Use a file and lightly file the bracket behind the stainless slide plates until the pads fit with nothing more than a gentle push.

As to brands, personally I like the genuine Raybestos stuff as far as rotors go. NAPA's top brand rotors are fine too, same with pads. Or EBC and Hawk make some nice performance style pads for heavy duty applications.

I've installed and personally ran the drilled/slotted rotors on many trucks (including plow trucks) and never seen a problem with excessive deterioration of the rotors due to being drilled or slotted. In fact I've found the opposite to be the case since many of the performance rotors are zinc coated specifically to prevent corrosion in harsh conditions.

5. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

B&B thanks for your comments on using the slotted rotors, -and everything else! I certainly will value the opinion of someone who has actually used the slotted rotors, and liked 'em! I'll look for a zinc coated rotor.

6. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

in all honestly ford OME ambulance pads work really well truely HD pads . bendix severe duty brake pads good as well .

7. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

Pending how old your rotors are you are going to have to beat the piss out of them to get them to come off :gunsfiring:. I just finished a customers truck it was an 03 F-250 and boy did i have fun beatin the crap out of those rotors. it was a very stress releaving job :D:gunsfiring:ussmileyflag good luck

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Buy good parts and use the right grease. Be real careful putting it on, it does not need to be real thick. Do not ever get any on the rotor. Anytime I have stainless slides or guides on a brake job, I soak them in hot water with dish soap. Then I scrub them with a plastic scrubber. To get new ones you have to go to the dealer. On stuff with drive in retainer pins like My Ford, I use rust reformer on the rusted guide area after I wire brush it. Use chrome polish and steel wool to get the pins clean. If they will not clean up, replace them. My Dad and I always took our Fords front brakes apart spring and fall and cleaned them and greased them. Being a Plow Truck it's severe duty, extra service will save you later on. Brakes are not real hard but you need to do them right.

9. Load-4

Load-4 Junior Member

Lots of good info! Thanks to everyone. I'll keep checking for more posts.

10. mikeyfff1011

mikeyfff1011 Member

reybestis are good i use them for my truck they work excellent even for plowing and they are a top of the line product i well recommend