1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-250 bogging down

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by foggyjr5, Nov 28, 2005.

1. foggyjr5

foggyjr5 Member

I have a 1994 F-250 with a 5.8L 5 speed, and when i am just driving down the road it is almost like i am hitting the rev limiter, and boggs down. Then when you try and accelerated there will be no response the engine doesn't rev up or anything. I will just be cruising not accelerating or letting off the gas. I have replaced the fuel filter, rotor and cap. I don't know what else to do and am out of ideas... Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Have you checked the air filter it may be dirty enough to prevent enough air flow
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

foggy I have a 94 F150 and they had some problems with the catalitic convt. plugging up. That would give you a no power condition. Or could possibly be the transmission, mine is in today as a matter of fact for a new tranny. $1600.00=a big ouch! Could also be a fuel dilivery problem. I think they should run at about 60psi at the fuel rail. I would bet its in the fuel system, there is a fitting on the fuel rail (like a valve stem fitting) that is were you would screw on a fuel pressure guage and like I said I think it should be putting out about 60 psi under load and around 30 at idle. If its way off from those readings then its time for some new fuel pumps. Good luck.
  4. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

Sounds like your cat is plugged do you get a check engine light? Also look at the O2 sensor there is only one infront of the cat.
  5. foggyjr5

foggyjr5 Member

Thanks for all the advice. I did notice a little rattle in the summer when the window were down, but now that it's cold and the windows are up I don't really hear it. When i first got the truck in August, it had 93,000 and basically had all factory parts, even the spark plugs.

I will look at all of that i do thing that i need to replace my air filter though. Any other advice keep them coming.
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If that year truck still has the distributer mounted ignition module.
    The modules die all the time, my Bronco II 's had - 5 and F-250 -2. Buy the heavy duty if you replace it. Heat kills them I was told. They sell a tool to take it off with out removing the distributer (well worth buying). Auto part stores can test them too (module).

You may of had the little plug come out of the wire leading to the computer from the module. You take the little plug/pill out to set the timing, it then does not advance the timing. Or that wire could have a problem. One way to check is put a timing light on the engine and see if it advances (timing) when you rev the engine. Check all your connections and put dielectric grease in or on all of them. Your throttle position sensor could be bad too.
  7. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

Have you replaced the plugs yet? If you have a check engine light that would mean that there are stored codes in the computer. You will need a OBDI reader to pull them.
  8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A lot of stuff is not monitored by the computer. It will not throw a code for fuel pressure,spark plugs,TPS, intake, etc.