1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

f-250 alternator

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

I have a 91 f-250 351 auto with a 7 1/2 ft meyer beacon light fog lights frt and rear salt spreader cd changer cb radio, reg radio and cell phone. i know this is alot for my current setup, i had to get a 75 amp alternator, it was the only one they had and i was stuck in ny and i live in detroit. my question should i go dual batterys or get a bigger alternator.. and if the alternator is the answer how big can i go and how do i go about finding one. if dual batteries is the answer how do i do that. thanks guys

2. syNNer

syNNer Junior Member

I had the same problem. I had my alternator rebuilt by a shop that specializes in farm machinery and forklight starters and alternators. Now it's rated at 100 amps plus, heavy duty like no body's business and no problems with my electrical system. Hope that helps. Some else suggested using a Ford Alternator off of a police cruiser as they are V8's and have high electrical system demands.

3. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Bigger alternator,your little one won't keep up with dual batteries.Check your local auto parts stores and find out what sizes they have available.

4. Joe3113

Joe3113 Member

I would look into a 180 amp full output alternator and a larger cable from the alternator to the battery.

5. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Big Power

Bigger Alternator
    Last year I needed help plowing, Got my buddy with a Ford 1990 V8 only went a couple hours at night new battery ran down.
    It had a 65 amp on it the parts store said the stock one was 60 amp and the 65 amp was the high output,I thought it was funny.
    I went to a rebuilder and found a ford 3G 130amp that had same type mounting just a little larger overall size.
    It took about 3 hours to trim a little clearance in the mounting bracket to allow for the larger diameter case, It fit right on belts lined up good.I had to get a different belt and change some wire terminals to fit the new regulator plug. Also be sure to put on a new wire from the output terminal to the battery terminal to handle the high amperage.
    We plowed with that truck for the rest of the season added Aux. lights and plowed the short lots really worked it hard never had anymore trouble.
    For continous use the dual batteries will not help if the alternator cannot keep up.
    I plow all night with a 120 amp on my truck 1 battery never a problem, More batteries & more wires =more money & more trouble.
    Hyperpack

6. Scenic Lawnscape

ok you guys have me sold on a bigger alternator, the biggest i can find is 80 amps. Where can i fine a 150 or 160 amp alternator

7. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

www.motorcityreman.com they are at gradiot and 8mile they do 200amp+ alternators I have one of theirs and it works flawlessly

8. bcf

bcf Senior Member

3G

I got a new 3G 160 amp alternator off of ebay for $140. The auction said it fit 86-? Mustangs, but I called them up and they said it would fit. Still have to sintall, though.

9. Scenic Lawnscape

so any alternator that will fit a 351w will work??

10. Big Nate's Plowing

11. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Parts stores will only show listings for close to factory spec replacement parts. I would do as others suggested and get one from a police cruiser, I know police used full sized broncos also, you may want to see if they list an application for that. Spend a little time at a good parts store, first look up and pull the original alt, stick it on the counter then do some looking up and pull others, you can compare the two right on the counter. Good luck and let us know what you end up with for future posters.

12. rainair

rainair Senior Member

if the alt that you have is not enought, go with the duel batterys but also look at the set up at the Fire sta in your area, look at the medic unit system. a Leese-navelle alt will put out all the amps you need. (the spelling might not be right but ask the person in charge of maintance at the sta. they well help you out)....Bill

13. Scenic Lawnscape

big nate what does afaik mean??

14. rainair

rainair Senior Member

:D .....lol ...lmao.... I believe its called a duck!

15. Scenic Lawnscape

ok i am lost

16. Scenic Lawnscape

Description
    This is the upgrade for any of the 79-93 Ford Mustang factory alternators. A used 130 amp alternator for 79-93 Ford Mustangs. Replace your old 75 amp for this 130 amp alternator.
    will this work on a 91 f-250

17. Big Nate's Plowing

AFAIK= As Far As I Know

I have the 160 that they built for my bronco still, $100 if you want it they are $149 new. it is 1 wire hookup and I will throw in the 2/00 battery cables:D

18. Scenic Lawnscape

ill let you know later today

19. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Leese-Neville Alts. are the best, but not cheap. You will be looking at about a grand for one in the 160A range which is the smallest I know of. Plus they work on a slightly different voltage 16v not the 14v a automotive alt puts out. Your Batteries are used as a "reserve" power source once the truck is running. So If the Alt. does not put out enough amps then you start tapping into the reserve. So the dual batteries will only help if the alt. is under rated for the electrical needs. I think your most cost effective solution is a rebuilder that will upgrade your existing alt. But the physical size of the case will limit the maximum attainable output.

20. Scenic Lawnscape

big nate that alternator that we were talking about. is it a up and down mount or is is it on a angle???