1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F 150

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Bradlamby, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Bradlamby

Bradlamby Junior Member

I'm looking in to a truck. Its an 1987 F 150 but its not a 4x4, and they guys has a poszy rear end for it. would i still be able to plow with it if i put the poszy on. Theres an old Fisher plow i saw for sale real cheep and i could get that too, The truck is a 4 speed manual, in line 6 its rebuilt. I can get it for $250.00. what do you think i should do? Let me know!!

2. Bradlamby

Bradlamby Junior Member

A pic of the truck.

Truck.JPG

3. EskiePages

EskiePages Junior Member

I'm not an expert on plowing, but hopefully my thoughts will help. It depends a lot on what you really will use it for.Though some may scoff at a 6 cylinder, they are good engines and usually quite reliable. I personally prefer the straight sixes in the full size jeeps, and have liked what I've seen of the 300s in the Fords. I'm not a Ford fan, but that engine is a big plus to me in that particular truck! No, it won't have the guts of a larger V8, but it can still serve for many purposes....maybe just not the "mammoth" tasks a V8 and a 3/4 or 1 ton is better for!

I would assume that's a medium duty 4 speed, and not the heavy duty granny 1st tranny, correct? They're ok, but not made for abuse. Keep that in mind with any use you intend to do wit it!

As for posi-traction, it can be a nice thing...a *very* nice thing indeed! Particularly with some nice treaded tires! However, as others have noted in your other post, it still is *not* four wheel drive. Not only do you get the front/rear traction with a 4wd, but you get the low range, which can be quite helpful in worse conditions!

I'm not sure if the posi you could get will just require replacing gears in the pumpkin or if you'll swap out the whole rear axle. Either way, add in cost AND time as it will take some of both! Additionally, if you're thinking putting the posi in, why not just consider getting donor parts from a 4wd ford and swapping in the whole front setup and t-case to go with it? There are Ford Boards out there, like this, that would be of more help in that respect....many people have switched their 2wd fords over to 4wd. (there's even folks that have converted 2wd rwd vans over to 4wd...search the net, some interesting stuff out there!) So there would be help and probably directions out there on how to go about it. That way, if you could go full 4wd, then you could get more use out of the truck....and consider putting a plow on and getting real use out of it. The BIG problem here is what the tally($$$) starts looking like at that point. You might well be talking $1000 range and 4wd Fords are pretty much everywhere, so why not just look for a 4wd Ford for the cost difference and not mess with the work and hassle of putting in posi and/or switching it over to 4wd.

Just adding some food for thought on that. Given enough time, money, and ability, you can do pretty much *anything* you want with vehicles. Most of us don't have abundant supplies of at least the first two there, so we have to be realistic and figure what's most cost effective and practical in the long and short runs! This, and what you will really use the truck for, are what you need to weigh out and make a decision on.

From your pic, $250 for that doesn't sound bad.....in fact quite good if it indeed runs good and no immediate problems. However, I'd seriously be looking for at least a 4wd unit to put a plow on. 2wd is fine for many things, but plowing isn't its ideal place. Sure, you "can" likely do "some" plowing with it, but not like you could do with 4wd and a heavier grade of truck.

On the Fisher plow.....check it out. If it's worth it, grab it. You can always hang onto it and slap it on a 4wd later on. Doesn't have to be put on the 2wd! But, again, weigh all this out. I've seen 4wd trucks WITH plows go commonly in the $1000-2000 range around here, so I know if I keep my open I can get a working 4wd plow truck for $1000 or so in time. Take your $250, add in any posi/4wd conversion you'd consider, ADD the plow cost on top of it, and don't forget to add in initial cost of putting the plow on. (I've spent probably in the $100 range just on hardware, cables, wires, fluids, etc. swapping an old Meyer plow from one Jeep to another so far!). Where are you at at that point? Probably a LOT closer to the $1000 range, I'd bet! See where I'm going with this? Add up all the costs before diving in on something like that....particularly if your pocket book isn't as fat as Donald Trumps!

Bear in mind...the truck may well be a good buy if you only want 2wd and/or can put the posi in real cheap and just use it for the winter and whatever. It's your call in the run. The pic shows a nice condition truck to me.....ours are far more rusted in that price range up here! 6 bangers are nice too! Just don't expect *too much* out of the truck...at least in comparison to a 4wd unit!

Wish ya well....

4. Bradlamby

Bradlamby Junior Member

I read over what you sed and i think im going to pick up the truck for the 250. and prob not put a plow on it i dont really want to stick that much money in to it. Im still in high school so i dont have that much cash. But i think i can make it work for a wile. Un till i can get my self a big truck. but its a step up form my car so it should work.

5. EskiePages

EskiePages Junior Member

You should be able to find *lots* of uses even for a 2wd F150 with a 6 banger! Gas mileage will be a small plus over a V8 as well! I totally understand the expense part of things! For $250, that still looks like a nice truck to me.....bearing in mind it's 2wd. I didn't get a 4wd until after I was out of HS, so don't fret....buy what you can afford and make use of it. You can be proud it's paid for and learn what you like and don't like about vehicles as you go along.....