1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by vermonster, Sep 7, 2003.

1. vermonster

vermonster Junior Member
    from vermont

I am looking for a new rig that I can plow with. I plow my own drive, which is steep and winding, plus 2 rental homes that we own. I am in northern Vermont, so we see plenty of snow.

Can I get away using a F-150 instead of a 3/4 ton? (Right now I plow with a beater 3/4 ton, but am looking for something I can plow with AND can be my daily driver)

If I do use a F-150, should I be looking for one with beefier suspension (either factory or aftermarket)?

How does the 7700 GVW F-150 compare to the F-250s in terms of axles and suspension?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

The F150 is a pretty light duty truck,but will do OK for doing your driveway.An F250 would be preffered.

They do make a lot of light duty plows to fit the F150,which would suit your purpose just fine.

You can add Timbrens to the front end to help carry the weight of the plow.

Check out some of these sites,to see what is available.

3. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

plow truck

Hey I'm interested in your truck for sale. Email me at Brimow525@aol.com for more pics and info. Been trying to get up with you about truck. Thanks
  4. Manx

Manx Senior Member

I've owned a 99 F150 with the 5.4 and 3.73
    And now a 02 F250 with the 5.4 and 4.10

Mileage wise there very close
    the 99 was 13-14 MPG in town and 17 MPG on the highway
    the SD is getting 12-13 in town and 15 on the highway

And they both cost about the same new
    Why not buy the SD you get a soild axle on leaf springs up front & allot more room in the cab