1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-150 U-joint replacement

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Cwlo1448, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Cwlo1448

Cwlo1448 Junior Member
    from Chicago

I've got a '93 F150. I already replaced the front driveshaft, and left axle shaft u-joints, and have the passenger side front axle to go. My manual says I need to crack open the differential to remove the stub shaft. ( there is a circlip that hold the axle shaft) Anyway, has anyone had any luck replacing the inner u-joint while on the truck? It seems that there might be enough room to get a u-joint clamp on it.

Thanks,

Chris

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

There is a tool on the market and you can usually find it on Ebay. It helps you replace the inner Ujoint without removing the diff. I have one and it works great. I forget the name of the place where I bought it but I did buy it online via Ebay. Just look up the keyword U-joint tool in either Ebay or Yahoo.

3. Cwlo1448

Cwlo1448 Junior Member
    from Chicago

Thanks for the response Plowmeister. I have been hoping such a tool would work, as cracking the diff apart to get the retainer off the axle is a huge job.

Chris