1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

f 150 truck advice

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by melver78, Nov 4, 2013.

1. melver78

melver78 Junior Member

Hi there l`am trying to get a plow truck this year,,,,there is a 2002. F150 4X4 V6 12V anybody can shoot me an advice about this truck?? Thanks in advance:D
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

the 4.2 is kinda a dog. i never really thought it was a good tk motor. replaced a few in my time at the dealer
  3. jeffcof150

jeffcof150 Junior Member

I had an 03 with a 4.6. I had a 7' boss poly sport duty. I loved my 4.6. Wish I never traded it in. I never had an issue with the setup. Mainly did parking lots big and small and a few residential streets. also had 2500 lbs of salt in back. Dont know much about the 4.2 but i Wouldn't hesitate on the 1/2 ton setup. Depending on the situation of course.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you are to turn it into a plow truck. Make sure it has a trailer package transmission cooler setup. You need good charging, a 130 amp alternator and the biggest battery you get put on the battery shelf. The right size plow and weight. The right weight ballast in the back of the bed to off set plow weight. Good all terrain tires. If it does not have a volt and temp gage you need to add them. Read all you can on this site. Use the search function on the line above. It will give you past posts on some questions you may have.
    The biggest thing is you need to be able to wrench repairs or have a buddy that can. Stuff will break on a light duty truck. All the fluids and filters should be new or changed. Welcome to being a plow truck owner!