1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-150 too little for so much?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by timbow, Aug 18, 2008.

1. timbow

timbow Junior Member

Here is the situation….neighbor and I went in on a Boss straight steel plow some 10 years ago and use it on his '76 GMC (whenever it happens to be running). He has since relocated and I will now be plowing our drive (1/2 mile gravel), plus a couple of neighbor's places with my truck. I drive an '05 F-150, 5.4L, 4x4, super cab, 8' bed, heavy duty payload package, tow package, but only the 4050# front axle, 75K miles. The Boss site says 'Oh no you aren't'! :dizzy: Boss says I can use a poly plow if I had the snow plow prep package, but I'm not too sure this is the way to go on the gravel with all the pot holes and other sometimes large frozen obstacles one finds. Is it time to look at a F-250 (not the worst thing I'd have to do) or can I make the F-150 work with this steel plow (my wife's preference since I already own this), or a whole different plow set-up? I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.
  2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

You can find cheap F250 with 4x4 around $2,000.

It better than use nice f150 that you need drive to work instead stuck because f150 broke due heavy snow in Michigan.

Check craiglist. Lot cheap but check for all stuff that you don't trust owner.
  3. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

I'm not sure how heavy your old Boss plow is, so I don't want to come right out and say you will be fine, but...

I plow with my 06 F150 commercially and have not had any problems. Part of the reason is that I choose to go with a lighter plow set up (6.5' with wings). I see guys all the time with the light duty 7.5' plows on their 1/2 tons. Also, I do not have the plow prep package, but I am not exceeding the Front GAWR with my setup. Since you are only doing a few driveways, you can find a nice light duty plow on craigslist or ebay or under 1K. Save yourself the trouble and added cost of a second vehicle. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
  4. timbow

timbow Junior Member

Thanks SMOORE45....that's 2 more censt than I had!:bluebounc
    Yea, I'm thinking some Timbrens, using the blade I've invested in (8' Super Duty) and a little patience when I'm out playing in the snow should get me through. If not, it won't be the first time I've broke something.:help:
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You mentioned that the plow is about 10 years old Timbow. Is it RT2 or RT3 attachment?
  6. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

That makes no sense them telling you a poly if the weight is right because the Boss Poly plows weigh more than a steel plow.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

He would have been referring to a 7 ft sport duty poly. Which is the only thing Boss recommends for his app (with plow prep and HD suspension too of course)

Which would be lighter than a super duty poly which I'm sure is what your thinking...and you would be correct of course. :)
  8. timbow

timbow Junior Member

It is a RT3. I'm sure the serial number doesn't help but it is A4642. Maybe 'A' is an early RT3 designation?

Will a Smarthitch unit work with a Smarthitch II installation (probably all I can get now)?
    Thanks for all the help fellas....I'm running solo on this and would have to rely on salesmen otherwise.
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Being that your current plow is RT3 it makes it easy. Just purchase a current mount for your truck and it'll go right on.

Wiring is simple as well. Whether the plow is SH or SH2 won't make a difference. Simple purchase the newer 13 pin harness (standard issue) and your 11 pin SH will work with it.