1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-150 Question- A/C pump pulley bearing

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by JohnsonLawn, Dec 17, 2005.

1. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

I have a 98 F-150 4.6 liter and the pulley assembly that is on the A/C pump has a problem with the bearing. The pulley is noisy and wobbles a bit, so I am afraid it is going to let go on me and cause more problems. My question is can I replace the bearing in the pulley and how hard of a job is it or do I have to replace the whole A/C pump. I am sure that the pump is not a inexpensive item, so I am hoping I can replace the bearing. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  2. rwilimo

rwilimo Member

You will need to change the clutch disc and pulley (has the bearing in it) at a minimum. Unbolt the clutch disc and pull it off (be careful there is a shim between the compressor shaft and the inside of the clutch), remove the snap ring and pry from 2 side's to slide off the pulley. Inspect the field for damage and replace if it looks burnt. Trial fit the new pulley and make sure that the bearing is not loose on the compressor (some times the old bearing spins and destroys the compressor) as long as it's tight reinstall the snap ring, then the new clutch with the old shim. Do your self a favor and use oem parts and not rebuilt.

Do this repair as soon as possible or compressor damage will occur!
  3. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

Does the pump have to come out of the truck or can I do all this with it still installed. Also do you have any idea what a new compressor would cost. Thanks
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Did your A/C work?
    Compressors can be big dollars.If it's replaced the system needs to be discharged,then drawn down (air removed) and charged with refrigerant. A lot of times the receiver/dryer needs replaced too, another not-cheap part.
    I have seen idler pulley/ compressor replacement assemblies available for some trucks. (LMCTruck.com)
    The compressor's removed and assembly takes it's place.
    You then have no A/C. Whatever you do make sure to do it quick. If it damages your compressor too bad it may not have any core value. This would add even more cost to the repair.(Non-refunded core charge)
  5. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I don't believe your going to be able to change that brg. You can pull it but I don't think you can buy a replacement for it. What you can do is either replace it to the tune of about 300 bucks plus a recharge, or you can prob eliminate it all together. Pop your hood and look at the belt routing sticker. I should give you a routing for both with or without ac. You my just have to pull the ac pump and get a shorter belt. Sometimes you can buy a ac delete idler pulley. You remove the pump and replace it with the bracket and pulley. Let us know how you make out....Rob
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  6. rwilimo

rwilimo Member

First of all of course parts are available, any dealer likely has them in stock, if not can certainly get them. If you have decent access to the front of the compressor it can be done in the truck, at my shop we do them all the time. The clutch parts new oem ford should run you under $150.00
  7. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

Thanks guys, I will call the dealer on Monday and go from there. If I get in a jam and need help I will let you know. Thanks again