1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-150 plow/towing? good decision?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by vitality1371, Oct 26, 2005.

1. vitality1371

vitality1371 Junior Member
    from N. VA

i am looking at getting myself another truck. i plan to plow driveways and small parking lots, tow a jeep on a trailer, and have this be my daily driver. will a 1/2 truck be enough for this or should i be looking at a 3/4 F-250? oh and the budget i have to work with is about 10k.

2. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

I plowed with a F150 straight 6 with a 4 speed Manual and Granny gear had a Fisher MM 7 1/2 set up for a couple of years. This truck did not stop for anything but you will beat the hell out of the front end. I now plow with a
    F250HD much better truck for this job.

3. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

I got a 03 F150 this summer and I pit a 7.6ft Snow-Way on it, And I also pull a 753 Bobcat with no problums.

4. Hiwire

Hiwire Member

Some F150's are built heavier than others. If you look hard enough you might be able to find a #7700 model. Thats the one you want. Its not really a 150, but a lightweight 250 with a 150 emblem. The frame, axels, and springs are all different than any other 150. They were the only 150 that Ford built just for the purpose of plowing. There arent many out there but if you can find one you will be way ahead. I have one and they are a great truck, just not a SD.
    Ray

5. Dchris

Dchris Junior Member

F250 with front leaf springs makes for a goog work truck. Plowing, towing. etc. If you hang a plow on a 150 you may need a to beef up your suspension. The 3/4 is basically a heavier truck all around.

You should be able to find a decent F250 for around 10K.

I would not recomend buying one with a plow on it... If it`s gotta plow, its been worked hard !

6. MBB

MBB Senior Member

96.5 thru 03 f 150 use torsionbar suspension unless it is reg cab & long box the front axel will not handel the weight of a standard plow (going by Federal specs) ends up about 60 or so pounds short with any of the other cab options or short box. A standard 250 (not sd ) would be a better choice and you can work with the front end without spending a small fortune.

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Start buying Truck Trader Magazine if you have it around your area. There are lower mileage F-250's in it all the time. Your better off with one if your going to work it and tow. An F150 is more of a driver sometimes hauler kind of truck. You break stuff and wear stuff out and soon your saying: "I should of bought an F250!" Light duty's not always cheaper in the long run. You also have more choices of plows and brands.
    I am ducking under cover as the F150 owners lock and load!

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I'll second that..get a 3/4 ton you'll be glad you did.

Now, they have more targets to shoot at, the more targets the better chance we have :gunsfiring: lol!