1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

f-150 pics?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by born2farm, Jan 27, 2008.

1. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

hello guys,

im looking at buying a 1997 ford f-150 4x4 xlt with a manual 5spd, regular cab short bed for my first plow/lawn care truck. any body have any pics of trucks similar to this with plows on them and what would you recomend as a plow for this truck,

thanks,

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

DO you really want to plow with a 5 speed???? Are there any other specs on it?? V8? V6? I wouldnt go no more than a 7.5 foot plow. Check out their websites and see which one fits your tastes best. But I would look into an auto for plowing, jmo.

3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Is engine V6 4.2L? DO NOT GET THOSE TRUCK WITH THAT ENGINE.

I have heard lot about 4.2L broke rod because it was hydro lock.

If it V8 then it good.

4. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

A friend of mine bought one that had the original engine replaced for that reason. Somehow a 3.8l out of a taurus wound up in there. It ran ok too.

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I heard they would fit in there with Mustang's engine.

Why it happened. It was coolant leak though Intake gasket then got in cylinders then you try start but won't start it would smoke white until bam rod bend or broken.

6. born2farm

its a v8...idk much about plowing with a 5 spd but others say it isnt that much different.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

That'll be a decent plow truck. I see you have the xlt so it's a v-8. Here are some pics of mine. Mine is a 98.

plowman64.jpg

plowman91.jpg

plowman90.jpg

plowman75.jpg

8. born2farm

thanks for the pics bladscape, is urs auto or standard?

9. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

auto...
    you can get used to a manual,
    but i can't even imagine how many times you have to shift,
    and push your clutch in,..hey but sometimes you gotta do
    what ya gotta do. If that's what you got..go with it.

10. born2farm

ya...i the truck needs some electric work but there is one guy that is interested in it and he has first option so well see.

thanks

11. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I'd say go for it if you don't mind shifting. It really isn't that big of a deal. Your clutch foot will get very tired. Just take a break here and there to let it rest. Make sure that you have the plow controls near the shifter so you can multi-task. I have plowed with a big old 70 HP Deere tractor with a bucket and two speed rear. That get tiring really fast. A manual truck should be a lot better than that.

12. born2farm

ya..im just gonna wait it out and see...my dad said i can make a bracket and just mount a control to the shifter

13. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

My ex brother in law was gonna buy one of those late 90's 150's brand new....the salesman talked him out of it because he said the frames were pretty chincy and the hold downs on the car carrier trucks were bending them. Just what i heard.

14. born2farm

thnks for the heads up bossman. the electrical problem it has kinda scares me away from it so i dont thnk ill be buyin it, thanks again.