1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-150 Hide-A-Way Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by lugger007, Jan 10, 2012.

1. lugger007

lugger007 Junior Member
    from CT

Good evening all, I'm know I'm new here, but been looking around and reading for a while now.

I plan on installing hide-a-ways in front and rear lights. Has anyone installed strobes in a 2010 f150 series truck and have any advice on where to install bulbs in lights and wiring of controller?

I've never installed strobes before, so any advice guidance especially on setting up harness is greatly appreciated.

Below are the kits I'm considering. I'm also planning on installing atomic LED's and hope to tie them together eventually.

http://www.strobesnmore.com/strobes-n-39-more-pro-system-4.html
    http://www.strobesnmore.com/whelen-competitor-series-strobe-systems.html
    http://www.gorecon.com/product.php?pk=98&pname=Part-26419-90-Watt-CLEAR-Strobe-Light-Kit&p_cat=21

Not sure if I want to go the LED route, but if I do might use Whelen Vertex and Ion.

Thanks for all the help,

Brian

2. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

Either the whelen vertex or the e series led are good products. I would stay away from the recon stuff. The light from an led is much more vivid than a standard strobe

3. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I like both the strobesnmore lights, dieseltech, why stay away from recon, I ask because my son is thinking of ordering from them, Is there something we should know ?

4. lugger007

lugger007 Junior Member
    from CT

dieseltech,
    Thanks for recommendation on the E series, and to my surprise they were not as expensive as I thought.

I like them, but how do you hook them up to a switch? I want to be able to control the 4 or 6 leds for on/off as well as change the flash pattern from the truck.

Any other recommendations is appreciated.

Brian

5. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

I have not had very good experiences with their customer service and their products seem mediocre and over priced for the quality. Just my opinion of them. Some have good luck and others dont. Do the research and read reviews prior to making your decision and you should be fine

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  6. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Thanks for the info !

7. lugger007

lugger007 Junior Member
    from CT

For the e series led hide a ways, I'm confused about the power supply. Do you still use a separate power supply like in the strobe kits or no?
    I'm trying to build and diagram my setup on paper before I buy it all and im getting confused. Thanks for help

8. chakakan

chakakan Junior Member

E series

From the way it appears to me there is a power supply for these LEDs. One thing to consider is with the E series you only get a 2 year warranty while whelen vertexs have a 5 years warranty. Would seem the price difference is worth it just for the warranty and there is no power supply to mess with on whelens. Also Whelen's customer service and tech. departments are EXCELLANT. Quick turnaround on warranty issues.

9. Thor78

Thor78 Member

There is no power supply needed for the E series LEDs, just a 12v & ground. Watch the video and look at the picture on S&M's website, it shows everything that comes with the kit. The small inline box you see is the flasher. Also the E series come as a pair where as the vertexes do not. Louis and S&M have great customer service as well, but like chakakan said the whelens have a better warranty. Hope this helps, good luck.

10. chakakan

chakakan Junior Member

E series

Like Thor said...it actually isnt a power supply...it's a flasher. Just makes a person think of it as a power supply cause like strobes you have to plug into it to make them flash. The whelens have a inline flasher. As for cost..yes the E series come as a pair @ $110 but @ SNM a set of 2 Vertexs are $140 (which is a average cost for vertexs).

11. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

Correct. The e series have an in line or built in flasher...no power supply needed for either brand

12. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

Let me know if your not able to figure it out of dont feel like installing the lights. I can install them for you just send me a PM

13. lugger007

lugger007 Junior Member
    from CT

thanks everyone for the help so far. I looked up the e series and makes more sense now.

fordtruck661,
    couldn't find the button to send you a pm, please email or pm me. thanks
    bfraczki at gmail dot com

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  14. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

15. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

Email sent

16. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

We've installed a set of Whelen Vertex in the front headlights and rear reverse lights on this truck at the same time we put a plow and a salter on it.

[​IMG]

Here is one set we installed on a Ram

YouTube

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  17. RepoMan1968

nice work Thumbs Up

18. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

Thank you =)

19. lugger007

lugger007 Junior Member
    from CT

ChiTahoe,

nice pictures and install. Any shots of them at night. I'm leaning towards the whelen vertex, but I'm concerned you won't be able to see them during the day. Hope their as bright as everyone says at night also, I've never seen them in person yet.

Brian

20. RepoMan1968

they ARE super led's and THE brightest on the market. surface OR hideaway.

vxt.jpg

$(KGrHqMOKpgE6VBF-702BOn0gK4Pt!~~60_12.jpg