1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F 150 Help!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by darbc23, Sep 27, 2008.

1. darbc23

darbc23 Junior Member
    from Sw MN

Ok guys recently purchased a restaurant with my wife. We have a pretty decent parking lot. I also want to do a few residential places such as family and my own. What do I need to do to a 2005 F150 Supercrew FX4 to make it plow worthy. Dont want to get a new truck at this time. What products would allow me to put a good plow on prefferably a V plow?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

A set of jack stands to hold the front up with a v plow on it. Your close to a 1,000 pounds hanging off the front end with a v plow. Get a Sno-Way.
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

sell sell sell.
    used 3/4 tons are cheap in this economy.

Wait you own a restaurant.

Keep the 150 and hire a professional to plow and stay in bed,
    What if the storm hits during the day say during your dinner rush
    Now you have to leave your business and plow the lot.

a sno-way V weights almost 1k too
    but who is watching there weight certainly not a f150
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

hire it out. then you have no headaches from it, less stress, more time, and doing it yourself will probably cost you as much or more in the end.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Forget about the vee...you do not have enough truck for it. Biggest plow you can run from any plow manufacture is going to be a 7.6 straight blade.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Not a thing. Any dealer installing a Vee on that truck is suspect. You don't want to buy a new truck but you will need to very soon if you install a vee.

Consider Snofarmers suggestion about hiring the work out. You will lower your liability incredibly. If you do decide to do it yourself i suggest also getting a salter, and having a amble supply of material stored close to the restaurant.
  7. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

I plow with a 2006 F-150 and I would not put a V plow on it. Heaviest I would go is a 7.5' Light Duty plow. How many square feet is your lot? You may just want to hire it out as suggested. You could always do the salt yourself if you want to save money.
  8. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I would really look into getting an old 3/4 ton. Not a piece of junk, but something pretty ok. With a big lot you might have some trouble pushing a lot of snow, and you can't put a bit plow on the truck. Plus, you will beat the crap out of it.
  9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Look at the cost of installing a brand new plow on your truck. You can go to the links of manufacturers of plows at the top of the page. They should have a program to match plows to your truck. Your are going to spend around $3,000 to $3,500 + on a plow setup for the truck. It beats your truck up no matter how good you are. Can you fix it or have to pay someone to do it? Do you need the truck every day without fail? It's all issues you need to think of if you want your truck to plow snow. You may be able to find a plow truck for a cheap price that you can use for the business and write off on taxes.
  10. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

I plow commercially with a 2006 f150 supercab equipped with a Fisher 7.5 MM2 RD. I installed a 2" leveling kit in the front(around $100 on ebay) and run about 400 lbs of ballast up against the gate. The truck handles the plow quite well and being my personal truck only gets as beat as i'm willing to beat it(i also own a couple of 3/4 ton trucks and a bobcat to do the heavy pushing). It's my opinion that your F150 is more than capable of doing the plowing work that you mentioned for many years to come so long as you plow smart and take good care of it. Good luck, Roy
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  11. KWIK

KWIK Junior Member

I plowed commercialy for 2 years with my 06' f-150. I had a Boss 8ft straight blade on it. Everyone told me the same thing "get a 3/4 ton" "you can't plow with that thing" "you'll need a smaller plow" its all ********. I hooked up the plow with no spring helpers or ballast weight and plowed for 2 years with " 0" problems. the truck handled the weight just fine. I plowed just as good/fast as all the 3/4 & 1 tons in our fleet. I say put the plow on it and don't worry. :drinkup:
  12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

If a 150 is soooo good for plowing why do MOST contractors prefer a 250 or a 350 to plow with?
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  13. KWIK

KWIK Junior Member

Did you read the post?:confused: Let me help you.

"What do I need to do to a 2005 F150 Supercrew FX4 to make it plow worthy. Dont want to get a new truck at this time."

we aren't talking about "most contractors" he was simply asking what he needed to do to plow with a F-150. If he had a choice I think he would prefer a larger truck. I was only stating that A stock f-150 will plow just as good a a 3/4 or 1ton.
  14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

no 150, 1500 will NOT plow as good as a 3/4 not even close.
    (regardless of who the operator is)

You don't need a "NEW" truck just one that is suited to the rigors of plowing your 150 is not no matter what you may hear.

You wanted to know what you should do and i told you SELL it.

When you asked a question now your b1tching about the answers your getting that don't agree with you...

If a 150 can do the same work then why build 250's or 350's?

regardless, the original poster should hire it out and not worry about it.

well good luck
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  15. darbc23

darbc23 Junior Member
    from Sw MN

I am the original poster......When was I bitching? I would love to sell it but the way the world is I am trying to keep expenses down,sorry. To hire it out would cost more than vehicle payments and plow for year.....I dont know how u keep ur books but I will take asset over expense any day!:bday: Plus I wont have to bust my left nut at home with the shovel!! Is there any beefing up I should do to my 150 is more what I was asking.
  16. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

I found that a 2" leveling kit and about 400 lbs of ballast are more than adequate to offset my 7.5 fisher RD. Good luck, Roy
  17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

You need to talk to your lawyer about liability exposure.

You are a new business owner.
    a restaurant.
    Long hrs and some late nights too.
    Do you really want to get up earlier than you will have to and plow that lot?
    It might sound romantic at first.
    now your lunch crowd is on it's way but your prep cook just quit and the fryer is cold but the lot has 3' of snow and it's going to keep snowing.

s1it where did the time go I have to plow again for the dinner crowd.

Your wife is going to kill you by this point.

The snow is still coming down you say f--it I'll do it in the am.

Now the snow is coming hard and some kids where doing Shiites in the lot making it even harder to plow.
    Then the phone rings, It's the lawyer for that old lady that fell in your lot yesterday.

Your thinking Damm i should have salted.....

What can go wrong next....
    Your 150 Sh1ts the bed and dies......

Now what?

Your kidding your self if you think you can do it cheaper..

Save your business and your marrage hire it out..

You can still get the plow for at home.
  18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Dose it have plow prep? if not here's a starting point of what to do to the F150

Heavy rated tires ,you should be plowing with at least a h rated tire. the stiffer sidewalls are needed to handle the weight of the blade. the side wall casings on the lower load rated tires breaks down from the constant pounding from the plow. While you're messing with tires what rims do you have? the light weight aluminum "show" rims won't handle the load well. make sure you have enough rim before you buy tires, the chain is only as strong as the weakest link. perhaps you can get a set of steel wheels form the junk yard if you need to upgrade.

What rear does the truck have? you should be in the high threes (3:93 are the minimum 4:10 are better) at least. If you have higher ratio rears you will need to plow in low lock to keep the power up.

a set of timbrens to help the front springs carry the load.

Trans cooler, Engine Oil cooler, Power steering cooler, these are all up sized with the snow plow prep, if you don't have them they are recommended.

Limited slip rears are a must have. nothings worse then a stuck plow truck. It's tough to get a tow truck at 3am when it's snowing.

A high output alternator, and at least an 850 AMP HOUR battery, forget about CCA (cold cranking amps) you need high amp hours if you want the battery to last though the storm.

match the weight of the plow with rear ballast. The ballast needs to be mounted BEHIND the rear axle not in front.

You will also need the proper insurance, None of your existing insurance will cover the liability of snow removal, so call you auto insurance agent and get commercial coverage on the truck, that specifically lists snow removal, if you wish to have coverage when carrying the plow. Call your General liability agent (if they're different) and have snow removal add there as well, you are now responsible for the safety of your customers, slip and falls, even auto collisions found to (or claimed to) have been the fault of in adequate or incomplete snow/ice control will now be your fault. A customer's insurance company can file a supplication suit against you to collect what ever they had to pay out due to your failure to provide safe egress. You are operating what could be termed an attractive nuisance. You 'invite" people to use your parking lot to access your restaurant, it is now your sole responsibility to assure their safe passage. I would separate the ownership of the truck and "snow removal company" from the restaurant and "charge" the restaurant for the service. That way, if they sue and win you might still own the restaurant if not the plow truck.

19. KWIK

KWIK Junior Member

SnoFarmer you have lost your mind.:eek: Please re-read my post. All I was saying was that I plowed for two years with my STOCK F-150 with no problems. I plowed side by side with my brothers 2500HD all year long. I had nothing done to my truck at all. no Timbrens no ballast weight. nothing. The truck plowed fine. Now I am not saying that these things won't help but i found them unnessary. I would AGAIN tell you don't be afraid of your truck or plowing your own lot. :drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:
  20. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

it gets the job done could use alittle lift in the front but it works