1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

F-150 and snow plowing???

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by cityscapes, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Hi everyone. I am new to this website, and soon to be new to the plowing industry. Currently i run a small landscaping company on the west side of Cincinnati, Ohio. Right now I do mostly lawn care and some light to moderate landscape work. I have a few accounts that have asked me about plowing and salting their lots this winter, and I am not sure what to tell them. Currently i have a 2000 F-150 4.2 L V6 2WD 5 spd reg cab shortbed. I doubt it would do the job but what do you all think??? Do I need to get a larger truck, and if so, what would you recommend??? Keep in mind that righ now I would have a wedding recption hall with a 200 space parking lot, 5 houses, and 2 apartment complexes that have about 100 units each

Thanks for the input

2. elginitis

elginitis Junior Member
    from mn

hello
    i think that the v6 will have a hard time plowing snow. it will probley do it be the engine and clutch will not last long working like that. the front end will not like a plow much either. you might want to look for a used f250 or f350 to plow with nad save your 1/2 ton. :nod:

3. thanks for the advice. I was thinking the same thing. i mean lets face it a 1/2 ton pickup may be a full sized truck but it is far from the working abilities of a 3/4 or 1 ton. i think I am going to do like you said and try and find a used truck to buy

thanks again

4. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Hold on guys I think were missing the major problem here. Like the fact that the truck is 2wd. There is no way you can plow as much area as you want with a 2wd 1/2 ton. Maybe if it was 4wd but you would still have a hard time keeping up with a storm. I suggest you get at least a 3/4 ton 4wd truck with a engine that has a good amount of umph behind it. The more power you have the farther you can push the snow which can be very helpful when plowing parking lots.

5. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Well, I would have to say go get a bigger badder truck. But I do have to add that I have used a 97 150 V6 2wd :eek: extend cab, short bed for plowing lots ( a skyline chili and strip mall). :rolleyes: It has a snowbear on it and worked fairly decent in the december 18" snow. I did not have my 250 at the time, so I had to make do. It worked, but was very hard on the truck. From my experience a hd plow will slam your truck. The light snowbear I have even lowers my front by 2" :eek: . Ballast is the key. I had my truck slammed with salt!!!!! PM me if you need some help, since I am local with ya!
    Welcome!!! :waving:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  6. szippijr

szippijr Member
    from S.E Pa

I have a boss plow on the company 05 explorer and it has plenty of power for at leaast a foot of snow.

7. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

3/4 ton v8 at the minimum!! the light duty stuff works, but if your in this game for longer than 2 seasons, it will cause you headaches. Run the heavier truck, you won't regret it!!

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Man get the right truck to do the job!
    You can get away with a 2WD dump truck plowing with weight in the back.
    But a 2 wd pickup, your really pushing your luck. You can get stuck real easy on flat pavement.
    If you get into plowing, get at least a 3/4 ton 4X4 with a tail gate salt spreader. A 1/2 ton will do it but you break parts and push the machine to the edge a lot. The truck dies an early death or nickels and dimes you to death.