1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

EZV joystick control fried

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Flipper, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I have an EZV on a F350 diesel. Its a two plug relay wiring setup. Has worked fine all winter. On Friday I cam out in the morning and the control was not powered, although it was backlit. I had no plow functions. I replaced the circuit board $190 and it worked fine. This morning I drove it down to a meeting, parked it and when I cam out to go home the same thing. No power light, no control but it is backlit. Fuses are good even in the control. Have not chenged any wiring all grille connectors look good. What would cause this? What should I look for before replacing circuit board or control again?

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Check and clean ALL of your connections, Plow, Grill, Battery, Solenoid and in cab. Check for broken or worn wires, especially where the harness passes through the firewall and where the 9 pon passes through the front of the truck.

3. Flipper

from CT

All truckside wiring was replaced this fall. New harnesses, solenoid, relays all ordered from Fisher. Plowside wiring all looks good although I am soaking the plowside pin end now to get any dielectric off. All connections to the solenoids were secure. I pulled the pins out of the round underdash connector and by jumping pins I can operate all plow functions.

Circuit boards were not burned or have a burned smell, just won't power up.

4. Flipper

from CT

Well I checked all the truck side wires with the plow removed. First I undid the power and ground and checked all wires for continuity. All checked. Then I checked all wires for a short to ground. None. Then I hooked the wires back to power, ground and the motor relay. I got 12 volts on the red wire, ground where I should and no other voltages or grounds. Its a 12 pin on one harness and a 3 pin (two large and one small on the other)

I also removed the harness from the joystick cicuit board and tested that. All wires check to the schematic for continuity and voltage/ground. No shorts.

I left plow at my mom's (as I was near there) so I will head over there in the morning and check the plow side for the same and then hook the plow back up and again check.

What's weird is as I read it, there is a 10 amp fuse on the red wire to ACC this powers the controller and is good as the controller backlights when plugged in and key on. The fuses inside the controller protect incoming voltage from the motor relay and the solenoids on the Insta-Act and they are both fine.

The system still worked because I was able to jump pins and run through all functions. Would a bad grille connection or short in the grille connection not blow a fuse? I cleaned them up but they looked pretty clean prior.

What's really weird is that both times it has fried has been right when the key turned on. In other words before I shut the truck down the plow was working fine and went into float. When I came back out and turned the key on the red light did not go on. So it either fried while it was sitting (and should have no voltage going through it) or right when the key was turned on (voltage present but no functions working.) I would think it would go bad when you were working the plow, but I have plowed 10 times already this year and not once has this truck given us problems.

With snow coming on Wed I am going to just have to buy boards or controllers and swap them if it goes bad.

I was hoping something would jump out. Fisher dealer here hasn't heard of any problems and I haven't had any prior with this or the other V.

Any ideas?

5. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

can you run a set of jumper cables to the plow motor and get some movement ? if you can then i would check the solenoid happened to me the same thing plow has power but no function turned out to be the solenoid

6. Flipper

from CT

I can put power to the brown/red wire and groun the brown/green wire on the solenoid (or vice versa) and get movement. It worked for two days and then fried the second board.

7. Flipper

from CT

Still chasing this problem.

We have fried three boards so far. A couple dealers and Fisher have been no help. Switch to an module they say, but not sure that will solve problem. Nothing warrantied of course.

This is what I know. Plow works fine as long as truck is on. When shutting down truck if control is shut off and unplugged from the round connector it will work after pluggiing it in when truck is restarted. If you shut truck off with control still on. (Like normal, getting home lowering plow turning truck off) Then the board stops working. No burning smell or mark, no blown fuses. Kind of hard to remember to unplug control etc. I just forgot and now its back to the dealer tomorrow for a board.

Meanwhile I threw together a control using momentary switches. Works well for testing and emergency controlling. Again all plow functions work fine. This just started end of last week. I have the red wire tapped off the fuse panle for a key on source and the black/orange ges right to the battery.

8. Flipper

from CT

Still working on this one. Did realize that the problem occurred after I hooked up the extra wires for my Ford tow mirros with heat. I had the power mirror functions all along but recently I added heat (tapping into the power window feed) parking lights (tapping into parking lights at the headlight switch) and turn signals (steering colum after the multifunction switch).

These are directions I found on dieselstop.com. Could something here be backfeeding or spiking voltage when the truck is turned off, off or started? Not blowng any fuses.

9. warrior

warrior Junior Member
    from ny

What's doing did you pass away in July, can't understand why you said you wanted it and then never got back to me buyers beware low life on board