1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ez vee lift problem and out of ideas

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by CAG80, Nov 26, 2012.

1. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

I have had a on going problem with a 6 year old v plow. Operates well and does not make really bad noises, it just lacks lifting power.. We have kept it in serivce all last seasons throwing parts at it hoping that when we tested it in the next storm it would work. The plow will operate fine in straight, vee, angled, but if in scoop with the wings out it can have a problem stacking or lifting if any snow is stuck to the blade,.. At this point the plow is almost completey rebuilt and the problem is not fixed. Repair list is new truck batteries, all new cartridges, all new reliefs valves .. Dealer said it had to be either the pump or motor so we figured we would change them and still nothing. Today we played with the pressure valve and no matter where we put it we could not get it to improve . In scoop with 300lbs (bags of grass seed) on the wings it won't fully lift , only about have way. We then noticed if you let go of the up button on controller and hit it a second time it will struggle and slowly raise to top. In vee no problems , I also checked to see if lines were pinched, all fuild level I'd correct, new fuild and filters every year, tried backing off the packing lift nut. What in the world could it possibly be I'm completely out of ideas.
    I would like to also add we are pretty faithful on the dielectric grease, have changed the solenoid at one point, and changed the breather cap.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

theres realy not much left u have not done! but does it go up fine in scoop with no weight?

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Try another controller yet? When you replaced the valves, did you blow out the bores with brake cleaner or air? Have you done a pressure test?

4. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

In scoop with no weight It picks up well.
    I have not tried another controller I was also thinking last night to maybe swap the lift ramp, I have old one laying around the shop. I did both the air and brake cleaner when replacing valves, no metal or other objects flushed out.

5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Probably not what you want to hear or do at this point but why wouldn't you trade it in on a new plow side setup? That's pretty odd that all of those parts were thrown at it and nothing helped.

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

I missed that part about it lifting fine without the weight...the controller would play no part then.

I don't think a ram would be your issue...unless it has air within it. What started all of this, had you done anything to it prior to it acting up initially, blown hose, fluid change?

It really sounds like a weak pump to me...or a blockage of some sorts. pick up tube issue? Have you opened it back up to make sure it's on properly, and there is no cracks?

I trust you used OEM replacement parts, especially for the motor?

Possibly a bad ground...but even then, I would think you would experience other issues with that. How's the power harness and connector looking. the female side doesn't show any sign of melting does it? tight fit all around? Do the lights dim when your having lifting issues?

What about the pressure test? Have you done one? Fisher sells a kit if not...Napa also sell their own as well. I think it has to be up to 2500 psi if I recall, let me know if you need that info; I should be able to find it on my desktop.

Have you checked, and or filled the reservoir, while the blade is fully in scoop mode? The fact that it only acts up when all the rams are out, suggests that it is a low fluid level, or has air within one, or more of the cylinders as well.....

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

:rolleyes: .........That's a bit extreme don't ya think? Would a more rational answer be to take it to a dealer and let them hack it out in the service department before dropping $$ on a new blade? Although it would be nice, some of us do this for profit....what a novel idea.

8. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yea, I'd say a pressure test even though it's a new pump. and see if you are adjusting the relief correctly. what psi is it relieving at now?

9. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

has to be a pump issuse

10. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

The new plow purchase crossed my mind, new is always the first thing that pops in my head when struggling with equipment although the numbers rarely add up to make the purchase.However I did go on the search for a complete hydraulic unit with the thought Of having plenty of spare parts for the future. I am going to give under the hood wiring a real good look tomorrow and see when operating I should always have 12 volts going to the plow motor wires if Im correct? Lights don't dim much compared to other truck we are running.. Also going to check out napa for the pressure tester tonight.We fill fuild with pistons closed, but did add some when the blade was straight just to try the other day.
    One thing I have to go back on is that the cartridges have not been replaced. My empolyee and I had the debate today and he reminded me that we bench tested all of them worked . Then we cleaned them but did not replace. I swore we put new ones in but seeing that we don't have the old ones laying around I have to believe he is correct and I am wrong. Any chance the cartridge would open and close and still be faulty if so which ones should I try replacing?
    BTW Thanks for everyones help so far it's much appreciated.

11. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Well gee, I never once thought about making money at this. I thought everyone did this for fun or beer money. Thanks for enlightening me.

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

Hey, no sweat daddy warbucks. :rolleyes:

13. It sure sounds like you've covered all the bases. The largest volume of fluid is being used when the blade is in scoop mode and you are lifting. I top off my reservoir with the plow down and in scoop mode.