1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

EZ-V vs. Extreme V

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by vwmurph, Jan 2, 2010.

1. vwmurph

vwmurph Member
    from Maine

I currently have a MM2 8' straight blade that I use for residential driveway and for my auto dealership parking lot. I would like to upgrade to a 8'6" V-Blade. With all the horror stories I here about the new Extreme-V hinge issues, I'm not going to spend my hard earned dollars on one till Fisher redesigns the weak spots. I see a couple of nice used EZ-V's for sale locally. How do the older EZ-V's hold up?? My straight blade has never let me down, but my lot is odd shaped with only two spots to stack snow. I think I push the same snow 5 times before it ends up where I want it. Thanks for the input.

2. ATWE

ATWE Junior Member
    from Chicago

I have a 6 year old EZ-V. We do a considerable amount of snow removal, mainly massive warehouses and distribution centers. Except for one major design fault, I've had very good luck with this plow. Unfortunately I have no experience with the Extreme-V as we switched all our trucks to Boss the year after I put this Fisher on my personal truck. FYI, we have not had very good luck with the Boss V.

The major design fault that I speak of is the setup of the rubber flab that's mounted between the two cutting edges. It's constantly ripping off and needing to be replaced at about $100 each instance plus an hour or so of your time. It seems that almost anytime I hit a manhole cover or pothole the wrong way it's gone. Now there's an 8" gap between the blades and I'm leaving coke lines all over the lot. The Extreme-V does not have this flap, it's cutting edges are actually molded to fill that gap. I'm currently looking into ways of modifying my EZ-V to accept the cutting edges from the Extreme-V, but haven't found the perfect solution yet.

Other than the flap, this has been a pretty good blade. Things have definitely needed to be replaced, but considering the amount of use and abuse this plow takes, dumping a few hundred bucks into it every year seems like a good investment.

3. Diesel Dude

Diesel Dude Junior Member

EZ-V's are alittle slower moving than the newer Xtreme V's but that's about the only down side. I do alot of repairs to Xtremes. They are just to light to hold up to years of commercial plowing. I've looked at used extremes but can't afford to have down time. Boss makes a good v-plow. I don't own one anymore, but do lots of installs. They rarely come back for repairs. I'm bias to Fishers. Good luck.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The XV scrapes much better, and as mentioned, the cutting edges avoid the center rubber issue. If you just plowing your own lot, know where everything is, the hot top is in good condition, I would be inclined to get the XV over the EZ-V just because it scrapes better, and I presume you don't want to salt. But keep that center pin greased.

Or, better yet, buy a Boss or Sno-Way

5. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

The V or the V-XT and whats been the problems?

6. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Sort of off topic but its about EZV's. How much do EZV's weigh?