1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

EZ-V to Extreme V

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by joeco129, Feb 19, 2007.

1. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

Anyone here upgraded from the ez-v to the extreme v? Or have both? Is there a big difference with the extreme v?

I'm reading in other posts that there are problems with the fishsticks... seems in both models... but I have always favored the joystick...

Just want to know if the extreme v is wortht he money difference...

Can any of you compare the Fisher V plows to any Westerns V plows from experience? Thanks for the input.

2. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

I know when picked up my Extreme -V they gave me the EZ-V by mistake and the blades are completely different. The center pivot pin is a lot larger in the Extreme-V . The cutting edge on the Extreme is bolted on and the EZ-V is part of the blade ( there is a replacement edge you have to drill holes for) . I got the fishstick with mine and have had no problems but I also set my controller up so I don't tug on the cord all the time. Hope that helps ya at least a little.

3. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

How do you like it? Is it your first V plow? What did you pay for it if you don't mind?

I have a Western straight now... but for next year considering a V... but then I hear people swear the Western MVP is awesome... There are too many dam choices... hehehe...

The stainless is a nice option, looks good too... and I think the trip edge is better than the full trip on my Western... I don't know what the best option for a V is... Probably the Fisher... Keep your advice and experience coming guys... Help me out! Thanks

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

i'm a huge fan of fisher and their trip edge design. A friend of mine has the XtremeV and loves it!

5. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

In the end its going to come down to what YOU like. I,ve had meyer and western straight blades and there is no comparison. I like how easy the fisher is to hook up and the simplicity of the mount. There are enough guys here to argue for every brand made it seems like. Look at the one thats easy to get parts for in your area .

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't forget...the Western MVP's are trip edge just like the Extreme V's.

7. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Not sure But I have heard they are doing away with the Ez-V.

We picked up our first V blade this year, finally decide to give one a try, Fisher 8.5 Extreme V the MS with fishstick.

And so far Great plow. Cutting edges gives alot of useable edge, Center pin looks real tough. The power unit could have been better sealed, but so far no problems. Very fast movements from the hyd. Good ground clearance in any position. So far the powercoating on our skins has held up well, no marks on the front of the plow yet. The decals did come off first storm. The 3 hole adjusment, to control uneven blade wear, is a great idea and I'm sure we will be using it if not next year the year after to adjust the blade. Myself I'm not a fan of the hand held control, I don't drive this truck and plow in a regular bases, My brother does and love the control, his straight blade was also the fishstick before.
    The lights big difference, and like them, other then they kind of stand out alot since they are big.

thats about all I can think of. No experience with the Ez-V so I dare not comment. But the Extreme-V I'm a fan, and we may order another next year.

8. LON

LON Senior Member

and built by Fisher in their Rockland plant......

9. LON

LON Senior Member

Yes, the EZ-V is going by the wayside. They took a great plow and made it better IMHO! I put a SS Xtreme-V on my truck as a demonstrator this year and love it. I like the hand held over the joystick simply because with 8 postions to try and hit with the joystick it doesn't always go where I want it (hit a wing function when I want to lower).
    Lon

10. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

How close are the joystick functions, I had not considered that. might have to try one out. That would annoy me, if they were to close to each other. If that was the case, a fishstick mounted might be the answer for me then.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Another good point when comparing LON!:)

12. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I have an 8.5 EZ V MM2 and a new 9.5 Xtreme V SS. I would say the X blows the old version away. It has a much better "attack angle" so it scrapes much better than the old V's. They eliminated the rubber flap in the middle which is nice. The snow rolls much better off the X and windrows better. I have had some issues with the new fish stick but over all I am very happy with the plow. I will be updating my old V to the new XV next year. Oh yeah SS looks real cool:D

13. premier homes

premier homes Member

Fisher did away with the EZ-V and went to the EXTREME V...what a mistake!. I currently own both models with the same amount of plow time on each and the EZ-V is ais a durable and heavier setup than the extreme v. I plow commercially (shopping centers). My equipment gets used... NOT ABUSED! I have had nothing but problems with my EXTREME V.

IN MY OPINION, this plow was not built heavy enough to handle the task of commercial plowing. it may be ok for a driveway plow.
    Fisher ended up replacing the wing, Centerpin and both angle cylinders under warranty but now im being told that they are VOIDING MY WARRANTY ON THIS 4MONTH OLD PLOW!!!!! this is a Engineering issue that they need to deal with, but they are ignoring it.
    so before you purchase the extreme v, please think about it , andrealy look at it before you purchase it.

2005 dodge truck 003.jpg

2005 dodge truck 004.jpg

14. chaseatg

chaseatg Member

Premierhomes still has not told us what he hit, when he broke his plow. Look at the thred bent ezv and you be the judge.

15. premier homes

premier homes Member

NOTHING was hit with this blade. there are no scrathes or dents on this blade to support anything different. The center pin FAILED causing stress on the angle cylinder which broke the end.
    see my buyer beware thread for the story!

16. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Someone is not telling the truth.

1. IF the centerpin failed, the driver should have noticed it and stopped long before that cylinder failed.

2. There are at least 10 extremes in my area that pushed 12 inches of concrete snow on Sat and none suffered any issues with centerpins or any other cracking.

3. IF it did happen as you say then it was a single occurrance, maybe a bad piece and Fisher was going to replace it as you said until you mouthed off. Now you are being slanderous toward them. You know of perhaps one bad plow, yours. That does not give you the right to go after them in the way you are. I think you will be lucky at this point not to get sued yourself.

I understand you are upset, but first be realistice about the damage and second about hw you react to it.

17. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Nicely Put

18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Like I asked in the other thread, I would like to see a pic of the wing flipped on the other side before condemning him or his driver. Could very easily have been a weak spot in the hinge pin and that caused the damage. Could be bad steel, could be a lot of bad welds. Could be he hit something, but let's wait and see a pic of the front side of the moldboard.

19. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Yeah it could be, but that would be one bad plow, which is why I stated number 3. I have my doubts though.

20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Oops, missed that one. Sorry. I would agree with that statement completely.