1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

EZ-V No power to pump

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by NEKVermonter, Jan 5, 2013.

1. NEKVermonter

NEKVermonter Junior Member

Hello, I have been looking through the forums to try and find an answer to my problem but cant come up with an answer similar to my problem. I have an 8'6" EZ-V in an 05 2500 HD. 3 plug, 4 port module. Plow has been working fine all year except for an intermittant issue where one side of the V would either quit working or only work in the back mode. I found that problem, it was the wires at the base of the 7 pin connector on the truck side. They were bare and corroded and losing contact. So I purchased a repair end and replaced it with no further issues until this morning. So this morning I woke up to 8 fresh inches. Pull up to the plow, connect my wiring, get back in the cab to raise it a couple inches so I can pull into the mount. I turned on my control, bumped it a couple of times to raise it a little, drive into my plow, put the controller in float so when I got out to set the pins I could push the pistin down to give myself enough slack to push up the head gear so I could lock everything in. Well I couldnt push the piston down. So back to the cab I go to make sure I put it in the float position which I had. Went back out and still nothing. Back to the cab I go, tried to bump it up again and nothing. Checked my connections, wiggled, cleaned and re dielectriced greased everything. Still no power to the pump. Lights worked fine and the controller seems to be functioning properly. Turns on and off, green light comes on for float, and all the proper lights come on and off for all functions of the controller. So naturally I figured it was the solenoid. Went to town, picked one up and installed it. Nope, still nothing. Cleaned all my grounds, from the battery to the pump and all connections. Fuses also good. So with only a test light I checked the fuses and have power in and out on both sides of each. Checked the solenoid with the ignition on and good power going in of course, there is power at both the small terminals all the time, which honestly seemed weird to me, I thought one would not have power until an action caused it to, telling the solenoid to make contact to supple power to the pump. But no power on the post supplying the power to the pump at all at no time. If you cross the solenoid the pump activates. When you activate thr pump the right hand side of the plow wings back. No idea if that means anything or not. Just thought I would throw that in there. Sometimes the more info the better. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like the control

3. NEKVermonter

But if it was the controller, and supplying power to the solenoid constantly, wouldnt the pump be running all the time? The thing that really puzzles me is why there is constant power to both small terminals on the solenoid but no power out of it.

4. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

5. NEKVermonter

Thanks for the PDF! I will go through some of the tests and see if I can find anything.

6. Morrissey snow removal

i think one of the same terminals is suppose to be a ground

7. NEKVermonter

Yes one of them is supposed to be a ground. I checked the controller and the F1 fuse appears to be blown as there is no resistance. Then the general diagnostics says it could be a short in the motor relay (solenoid) or a shorted solenoid valve coil S1 S2 or S3. So on to more testing once I get home. Still doesnt make sense why there is power to both small terminals unless an internal short causes that. And doesnt make sense that this new solenoid would be shorted the same as the old one I just replaced to try and solve my problem. I so wish I had a heated garage!! Lol

8. Morrissey snow removal

ground out one of the small wires and try that

9. Morrissey snow removal

the black orange wire is ground u might have a cut in the harness just run a wire from the ground on the battery to the left side of the solenoid

10. NEKVermonter

Well it ended up being a defective solenoid with an internal short. It fed power back to the controller which in turn blew the F1 fuse in the controller. I bought 2 fuses, replaced it once with the solenoid I bought this past weekend and the fuse blew immediately. I put on another solenoid and replaced the fuse in the controller again and everything worked as it should! I finally had a chance to get everything cleaned up from last weekend. Just in time for the Jan thaw coming this weekend... :( Thanks so much for the help! I greatly appreciate it!!

11. Morrissey snow removal

glad to here good luck this yr

12. NEKVermonter

Thanks and same to you!!