1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

EZ-V moisture in reservoir

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Motorman 007, Nov 28, 2012.

1. I hooked up my plow the other day to give it a dry run. Everything worked fine for several cycles of up, down, left, right, V, etc. I brought it in to the shop to clean the wiring and put a fresh coat of di-electric grease on the plugs, lube the center pin, and check the fluid level. Fluid was changed last year and we had no winter here in the northeast so it was only used about 3-4 times. One of the rams has a slight leak that I notice on the ground when I put the plow on the truck.
    I went to put the plow away and the pump motor would run but none of the functions would operate properly. All kinds of noises and jerking motions of the blade but nothing worked.
    The first thing I went for was the filter in the tank. Dropped the tank and holy crap...the bottom was filled with sludge which consisted mostly of emulsified Fisher fluid. The plastic filter was 9/10ths plugged. Cleaned the whole thing out, filled it with fresh fluid and everything works fine.

So the question is....how is this moisture getting into the system in the off season? The O ring appears to be sealing between the tank and the pump. The plow is stored outside but I would bet that most of us do, especially in the summer.
    Any thoughts?
  2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

How long has it been since the fluid was changed? It should be done annually.
  3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Also... When changing the fluid, the reservoir should be removed and the filter cleaned. Just draining the fluid and refilling really does nothing to prevent exactly what you've just had occur.
  4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Its a vented system ofcourse it allows moisture in. Thats why you change the fluid annually.
  5. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

What he said. I just did mine that I bought second hand a cpl months ago. Same symptoms as you. Pulled of every hose and purged the entire system, emptied rams. Thing was full of water....
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Are you guys running the "new" gray plastic breather? It has a check valve and allows a little pressure to build in the reservoir so no air and moisture gets in after a few cycles. They work awesome
  7. I said in the post that I did it last year....

I had the reservoir off last year and then I didn't use the plow much at all.

This appears to be more than moisture.....
  8. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

For what it's worth motor man. The plow I bought had a magnet inside the resi that was CAKED with particulate. I honestly thought it was a jagged rock when I first saw it. There was so much sediment in the bottom of the resi that when I pulled the drain plug, nothing came out, and the filter was 100% clogged. The resi was easily half water too. I figured for sure the pump was fried, but I cleaned everything out drained the rams and refilled it and it is fast and strong now, except that I cant drop the plow. (Working on that now)....
  9. I think they all have magnets to attract metal filings. Mine does too. I'm just having trouble with the volume of moisture/water this year since I did a complete cleaning, filter, and flush last year and barely used the plow.