1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

EZ V help.... Cutting edge.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mtnzone, Nov 10, 2010.

1. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

Hey Getting ready this winter for the oncoming snow. I have 5 fisher plows most of them are newer but I have a Five to Six year old Fisher 8' 6" EZ-V Plow that needs a new cutting edge..Ordered the cutting edge from MB tractor ( local fisher dealer) and it was the wrong one this one is a two piece cutting edge but both sides are straight. MY plow the inside edge is angled forming a V and in back of the blade there is a rubber piece to stop the windrow. Mr rubber piece is fine.. When I went back to MB they contacted fisher who said they dont make that cutting edge anymore but I could use one of the newer cutting edges from their extreme V but I would have to change it by either cutting or bending part of the edge?? to make it fit ..This didnt make any sense to me, so I left MB tractor scratching my head..

Got home and called Fisher ( yeah try to do that when you are only a consumer...lol) just hit zero when your prompted to go hit 3 to talk to customer service, talk to the receptionist instead and you will be put in the right place and actually talk to some one. I got the same response from technical service but it still makes no sense Why would they just up and stop making a cutting edge to fit a plow that is not that old and with plenty of them still in service..?? I then asked if I could just have the straight edges cut off the one I ordered and they said NO because it was hardened steel. I would have to use their four piece cutting edge and change it to fit this plow..??the outer pieces of the four piece are hardeend steel but the inner 2 pieces are softer so you can manage to manipulate it..

I guess Im asking anyone if they have any ideas, or if they have experienced this before?? I just dont feel like I should have to use a cutting edge that is four pieces made for another plow and the real kicker the idea that the two inside parts are not hardened steel.. so how long will they last.....lol

Thanks

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Thats a new one,i have yet to see a tech or sales bulletin stating no more EZ V edges,i have heard of guys making the 4 piece work,i believe they cut part of their original base trip edge to let the bend fit and maybe drilled a few holes in the trip edge,haven't done it yet,the 4 piece does not impress me,it's not like your gonna replace just one or 2 pieces that wear,the plow will never scrape correctly.Regardless,edges are available,i have a bunch,i know some of the sponsors here also carry them

3. John Murphy

John Murphy Senior Member

If your EZ-V plow had a formed cutting edge on it, it had to either have been some type of aftermarket edge that was used, or an XtremeV edge was mistakenly put on it. None of our EZ-V edges had a formed middle section to them - they were all straight. The proper edge combination for that plow is the 2-piece straight edge, in conjunction with the rubber that you referred to.

We still carry the 2-piece straight edge cutting edge kits for the EZ-V. An 8 1/2' is part number 28408, the 9 1/2' would be part number 26593. These are 1/2" edges.

John

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  4. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

Really?? well you would be the expert but all the photos I have seen show the inside edge ( towards the center pin) to be angled. the outside of course is straight the inside edge is angled. he blade on the ezv is angled the cuttind edge should be angled.

5. John Murphy

Here's the EZ-V parts list. We may have our terminology mixed up. The EZ-V edge is cut at an angle on the inside, towards the center. It is not cut on a straight/square edge. As you state, the base angle is cut at an angle. It does not have the curved section in the center, which is what I thought you were asking. If someone sold you an EZ-V edge that is square (completely rectangular) on both ends, they sold you the wrong edge.

http://library.fisherplows.com/fisherplows/pdf/27592_031904.pdf

And the XtremeV parts list.

http://library.fisherplows.com/fisherplows/pdf/44226.16_071510.pdf

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  6. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

thanks John, that is exactly what I was sold when I questioned it they told me something entirely different. ok got another question seems like everyone fom MB tractor to fisher them selves are telling me that I need to make the new extreme V work by fabricating it to fit?? is that true?? As I have dealers from other states saying they have the cutting edges with the inside edge cut at an angle that I need. MB tractor is stating that that edge is no longer made and that comes from fisher themselves?? please help...AS I really dont want to fabricate something to fit an other wise perfectly good plow..

7. I think you two were misunderstanding each other on terminology.

John,

Many of us on this site appreciate your continued posting and participation here even after the "Fisher Forum" of a couple of weeks ago. Us Fisher owners (in my case, 33 years) are passionate about your products. Fisher has a huge following in this sub-forum of Plowsite.com. As you well know by now, not all of it is good. Hang in there, we appreciate the advice!

8. John Murphy

No. The cutting edge part numbers that I posted originally are the correct edges for your EZ-V depending upon which length you have. The would be square on the outer edge, and beveled (spelling?) on the inner/center end.

An 8 1/2' is part number 28408, the 9 1/2' would be part number 26593. These are 1/2" edges.

John

9. John Murphy

Thanks. I appreciate it. Speaking of Frye Island, one of our Manufacturing Business Unit Supervisors has a place on Frye Island where he and his family summer. You two may know one another, and not even know it - if that makes sense?

10. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

ok John, you may want to talk to Brian then as he was just telling me the other day that I need to fabricate the four piece cutting edge to fit.

So your saying that the edge that is Made for the EZ V with the beveled inside edges is readily available? I have an 8'6" blade. and that is part number 28408 and is the cutting edge with the BEVELED EDGES?. Not trying to be a pain in the butt. But MB tractor in Conway nh sold me per Fisher the straight edge blade and now are driving down to Tilton NH to pick up the 4 piece edge that they were told is the only edge that will fit?? Because we have been back and forth with the service department the past four to five days.

Not to mention that I didnt like being patronized ( or that's How I felt) when I called fisher directly (twice) to ask same question that you are responding too. By the way Im a huge Fisher fan and this is the only issue I have ever had.

And I really appreciate the help Honest keep up the good work...

by the way John grew up in Union and waldoboro you may know my family as they own Ralph's Chevrolet..Still got a cottage up in friendship..

thank you..

11. Sure does. I sit on the Board of Island Trustees and know many, but certainly not all islanders. Have you ever been out to our slice of paradise? If you would care to PM me with his name, I can tell you if we are in a small world or not. Thanks!

Dave

12. John Murphy

I talked to Brian. He was trying to explain another potential option, in the event of a "gotta have it done right now situation". Yes, we still sell the 8 1/2' EZ-V edge that you need with the square outside edge and the beveled inside edge. It is the part number that I mentioned previously. The two pieces (one for each wing) are used in the conjunction with the rubber center piece, which is a separate component.

I know Steve Ralph very well. He's a regular at the Rockland Elks Lodge, as I am as well. Great guy!

13. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

John, thats my Uncle and I am named after him.. Great GUY is right imagine being a kid around that big lug used to beat the crap out of me and I loved it!! he also taught me to love budweiser...lol .great guy good family..

OK i'll buy what you said about Brian ... but they also said they didnt make it anymore, not that this was a got to have it now thing. he may have misunderstood ..............................................................

Again thanks for all your help and I will keep touting fisher as the plow to have to everyone who has an ear!!

14. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

atlantic broom in ma has them i buy a truck load every yr and they have a 5/8 x8 inch for the fisher v plows if thats helps

15. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

How do the 8" work for you?seems like extra levarge,just curious

16. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

worked awsome much better than the 1/2 butter knife fisher sells

17. dakotaskustoms

dakotaskustoms Senior Member

18. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

Did they come with the middle rubber piece and bracket? CPW is unclear on their descriptions.

19. dakotaskustoms

dakotaskustoms Senior Member

20. John Murphy

Dakotaskustoms - a couple question for you which are purely out of curiosity . . . .

Your location is listed as Buxton, Maine. That's very close to one of two Fisher Dealers - Messer Truck Equipment or Weir's GMC. When you make a purchase decision such as this, what motivates you to buy from Central Parts out of the Chicago area, rather than the local dealer? Is it just pure convenience - you can simply go to your computer, order what you want and literally have it delivered to your doorstep without having to go chase it down? Or, is the pricing more attractive when you buy on-line? Or, some other reason?

Again, just curious what makes you and many others like you buy their plow parts on-line, versus local dealers, who in your case and probably in many other cases as well may only be 10-15 miles away?

Others, feel free to chime in with your personal experiences/reasons as well.

Thanks.

John Murphy
    VP, Sales
    Douglas Dynamics