1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ez mount classic on 03 F250 mounting ???

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Pusher5.4, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Pusher5.4

Pusher5.4 Junior Member

I believe that is my first thread on this site so thank you in advance for your advise.

I recently purchased what I think is a Meyer Classic EZ Mount 8.5 Commercial Steel Plow.

The plow did not come with all of the hardware I seem to have everything but the bolts and sleeves that go through the frame of the truck. Also I am missing the pins that connect the plow frame to the truck side frame which I am not to worried about because I think I will be able to get at a local plow supply place (Naperville IL 60540).

My question is, Can I just drill through the frame and use large bolts with large washers or will that eventually do damage to the frame of the truck? Are the sleeves that go inside the frame needed?

Also the plow had the brackets for pro wings welded on. I am thinking about buying a set of pro wings, is there any big benefit of Meyer wings over pro wings? Other than my wallet will be a lot easier to carry around.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you don't include the spacers then there's no point in using those specific bolts either as all their going to do is continue to crush the frame tube as you tighten them. And if you only "snug them up" so that they dont, then they'll provide little clamping force...rendering them useless.

You can simply make the spacers, or purchase them from Meyer, they are available under Meyer p/n 11661 for about $4 each.

3. Pusher5.4

Pusher5.4 Junior Member

thats what I was thinking, I am just in a hurry to get this thing on, I don't want to do damage to my truck but I didn't know how hard it would be to track the spacers down. thanks a lot B&B. if anyone has had to make these spacers let me know what you used and how you did it, I dont have anything to go off of. thanks again

4. Neil64

Neil64 Member

Hardware Bag

You can buy a hardware bag that provides all bolts, nuts, washers, sleeves, etc. to install the plow. I just bought one for $110.00 delivered from http://www.picosearch.com/cgi-bin/ts.pl?index=433769&calln=2&lastq=08708&query=08708h&SEARCH=Search

or

http://www.picosearch.com/cgi-bin/ts.pl?index=433769&query=08708&SEARCH=Search

The h version is of the 08708 is what Meyer ships with a new mounting carton and is $10.00 cheaper. It is 14lbs of bolts, etc. I haven't opened mine yet but plan to have a dealer install the plow in the next 2 weeks.

These guys have the best prices on Meyer stuff that I've been able to find.

Hope this helps.

Neil

5. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

If you have the ability to do a bit of cutting and welding typically you can build a bolt kit for under $35. Go to Meyers Service manual sectiion on their website and look up the mount that you have, on the PDF file it will have a list and diagram of all the fastners you will need. They are all grad 5 bolts, available at any good hardware store.

On the Ford Super Duty, if you remove the tow hooks during installation and have a small hand arm available you do not need any special bolts. If you don't have any small hands available you need to simply weld a piece of 1/8"x1/2" x 8" piece of band iron to the head of the most rearward bolt ( actually two bolts one for each side) and fish the bolt down the frame. As for the crush tubes, you can simply use a piece of black iron pipe, You need the ID of the pipe slightly larger than the od of the bolt, cut the pipe 1/32" shorter than the inside dimention of the frame width. Once cut you can slide it down the frame opening, place the bracket against the side of the frame,slide the bolt through the bracket, frame, pipe and out the other side of the frame rail ( this will only work if you are an octopus or you have an extra set of hands available), place a flat washer on the end of the bolt, catch the lock-nut, tighten and your done. Oh by the way, becareful not to drill into the transmission or oil cooler lines just on the inside of the frame rails.

Jay

6. sno&go

sno&go Member

Yup, what they said, LOL. You NEED the tubes that go in the frame otherwise the bracket will not stay tight.

7. Pusher5.4

Pusher5.4 Junior Member

I got it mounted up but the p/s gearbox got in the way on the drivers side so I ended up doing one bold with the sleeve and one with just a nut and bolt going through one side of the frame. the other side I just did both nut and bolts going through one side of the frame. Thats how My buddys Blizzard mounted up does anyone think this will pose a problem? Also Was still wondering about the difference between ProWings and Meyer Wings. thanks a lot