1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

EZ dumper or venco dump hoist

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mike9497, Mar 4, 2003.

?

EZ dumper or venco hoist for F250 LD

1. venco hoist

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  2. EZ dumper

24 vote(s)
    77.4%
  3. don't even waste your money

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

im kind of stuck here.i have a f250LD and i use it very little only to plow and do light things.but during the spring and summer i do alot of mulching and lawn installs.plus my fall clean ups.the thing is i would like to have some type of dump feature for the bed.its hard getting leaves out of the thing.i already have a EZ dumper in one of my other trucks.the thing is i put a V box in the 250 and i worry about the weight.with a EZ dumper and a V box on top of it is like 1800 LBS.i also looked at the venco pickup bed dump hoist.its around the same price as the EZ dumper.i feel turning the bed into a dump would be better weight wise but the pickup bed can only handle so much weight before it folds.but im looking to put 2 yards of mulch or tosoil at the most.i know my EZ dumper can dump 5 yards of topsoil or mulch with know problems.stone is another story for the EZ dumper i could maybe get 3 1/2 yards in before it starts acting up

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd go with the EZ-Dumper.Much tougher unit.In the winter just take it out and install the salter back in the bed as before.Will save on weight,and keep the EZ-Dumper in better shape.

The pickup bed hoist setup will work,but like you said,it will only take so much weight.The bed will get pretty beat up using it as a dump box.

3. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

i agree with wyldman. go with the e-z dumper.

4. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I would also go with the e-z dumper.You could always get the spreader attachment for the ez dumper,and put the vbox on something else.

5. nben

nben Senior Member

We have had both and will never have another pick-up dump conversion. Constant tailgate trouble, and horrible trailer hitch nightmares. E-Z dumper all the way. If they are done right, it only takes about 30 minutes to pull one out and put it back. Not bad if it were to be a seasonal thing. :D

Three and a half yards of stone in an E-Z dumper?:confused: :(

6. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

yup 3 1/2 yards of stone.i also had the highway brand dump bed insert which was nice.a sales rep from highway showed me his in his f150.dumped out 4 yards of stone with no problems.now when i had stone in my ez dumper i had 4 yards.hit the button and it went up about a foot then the pressure relief kicked in.got the bobcat and took out almost a yard and it lifted right up.i know on there website it says 4000 lbs or two yards of stone mulch topsoil,but a tech told me they can lift up to 6500 lbs max.the highway brand has 2 rams where the ez dumper has one.they no longer makethe highway dump anymore which stinks because i would buy another one.so thats why im stuck trying to figure out if i should go with the ez dumper or the hoist.im not big on removing the dumper in the winter because i don't have anywhere to put it.plus i have a headache rack on the back and i think its going to hit the ez dumper.i also have a tailgate salter for my other ez dumper and its okay not great but i just got the downeaster spreader this year for it and im not shopping around for a new truck to put that spreader in.plus my snow blowers fit perfect along side the v box in the bed and i could fit my 52 inch TTHP mower in the pickup bed if i didn't have my trailer.im selling all but 4 of my trucks this spring.i just used them for plowing and found getting subs is easyer and cheaper than hiring guys to work for me in the winter.but so far you guys have been giving great info and support on the ez dumper.my brain is still split alittle but its thinking more about the ez dumper

7. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

had a dump insert called " the little tipster" it was mounted in a dodge 2500. we regularily filled it with 6000lbs of gravel and that sucker would dump it every time. great unit, however it could not withstand the rollover that the truck was given.
    i miss that thing,
    dan

8. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

my friend has one of those in a f350 SD i think the truck came with it.used truck.

9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

4 yards of stone on an F-150???

The axle didn't come out from under it?:confused:

10. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

pelican

i never said that the truck wasn't 2 inches from the ground......lol he had it rigged up real good air bags extra leaf springs 11 inch rear end.but i will tell yah one thing.i did see light under the front tires.....lol lol.the truck i have the ez dumper on is a 250 SD.it sags to with the air springs and lift kit i put in.

11. nben

nben Senior Member

That thought makes me appreciative of random DOT truck stops/weigh stations.:(

12. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

sounds to me like you need to be looking for a bigger truck with a higher gvw ! What your doing is not very safe.... do that around here and the state troopers would have you for lunch...

I have a truck craft in my F250HD and it has been great... Has a 5K lb lift ram, so it has good power.. but not how you abuse it... round here a yard of QP is like 2500 lbs so you mean to tell me you got 8 or 9 thousand lbs in the back of this thing ? 3 or 4 yards of mulch is cool, cause thats only about 500 or 600 lbs a yard, top soil is its wet is like 1200 to 1400 lbs a yard. If you need that kind of material, just have your stone yard or supplier deliveri it to the job site for you , here they only charge like $35 to $40 for a 5 yd load..

13. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

maybe i got this going the wrong way.but i only did this twice because my bigger trucks couldn't fit on the site.second i use it 80% of the time for mulch and in the fall i install a leaf box.i have larger dumps but if its just 2 or 3 yards its not worth paying 1.99 a gallon for diesel.thats near 200 per tank.thats why im setting the f250 up with a hoist also.it cost only 30 to gas it up plus it runs for 8 or 9 days without refueling small v 8.my bigger trucks run for 2 or 3 days 12 hours a day sometimes i do night runs with them so that adds up in diesel.im not a crushed stone guy i try to stay away from the small jobs.i deliver stone to other landscapers and landscape supply places for 70 per load which is about 9 yards in my bigger truck.so just to let you guys know its going to be used for very lite duty stuff.think mulch and leaves............LOL LOL

14. nben

nben Senior Member

Mulch and leaves- we have a Downeaster slide in dump body. Pretty much the same as an e-z dumper, but made a few towns over from us.

Mike,
    I know you have their vee-box, you might want to check out their slide in dump. Quality is just like the vee-box.:D

15. metalfab

metalfab Junior Member

check out the Pathfinder dump insert. Very strong, best max dump angle, and reasonably priced.

16. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I have the VENCO hoist in my 81 F. Its great for what I use it for. It has a 4ton rating. I carry mulch, stone, sand/salt, nything I need to. I like the fact that it still has the pick up look with out ab inset like the EZ dump. I put it in myself needed some minor welding. and have had no hitch problems. Bob

17. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

we used to have an ezdumper in a chevy when my grandfather was the caretaker at an 18 acre property. lots of leaves in the fall to load up. it worked well.

like scape...........rex said have you looked into truckcraft.

one of our clients runs one in there dodge 2500 for the last few years. in the winter they add the tailgate spreader. the unit is in great shape and worked well for them. see a few tree guys and contractors around with them in 350's. the benefit to the truckcraft is its stainless. should hold up longer than the ezdump, especially if your using it to salt.

i think hoists only lead to problems. newer trucks aren't built like the old days. guys twist/torque beds all the time with the hoist systems. yeah the insert stands out more, but its built to dump.

18. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

A friend of mine had his F-250 bed turned in to a dump body. It twists the truck bed every time it lifts any weight, and he has to raise it to put fuel in it.
    He has had his share of problems also. Go with the slide in version.

19. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

Go with the insert not the bed hoist. The research I have done all say a pickup truck bed can not handle the rigors of commercial dumping use.

As far as what brand of insert to use I say E-Z Dumper. I am currently in the market for a dump insert and I compared the E-Z to the Truckcraft and the E-Z was the winner hands down. The E-Z has added some new features to their product such as a new lift angle thats higher, new powder coat paint, new rub-rails added to the sides, a better headboard design, and what sealed the deal was the sides where the stakepockets are. On the E-Z the side rail is boxed front to back whereas the Truckcraft only has a piece of flat stock as a brace in the middle. To me when adding a big leaf box the E-Zs boxing will reduce twisting and flexing. Finally the E-Z is rated at 6000lbs compared to Truckcrafts 4000.

I have not seen a pathfinder as I don't think there is a dealer nearby so I don't know how they compare.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2003
  20. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Pathfinder is made in RI, and being that your state is pretty small, even the factory should be local for you. Look them up, they make good stuff, and their prices are good.
    Dino