1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extremely new to snow plows wont lower please help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by hankhill, Jun 1, 2010.

1. hankhill

hankhill Member

Hello everyone I recently got rid of my powerstroke and went with another truck that came with an 8ft western unimount snowplow the truck year is 1993 so the plow must be relevant in age, I have wanted to start snow plowing since last winter, I have only plowed a few times which was last winter at a dealership lot I was working at, When I picked up the truck I hooked up the plow aswell to take it home it was 80 degrees out so ofcourse the truck almost over heated but my intentions were to drive a few miles then stop and let the truck cool, well heres the problem, I go to lower the plow with the joystick and it doesnt budge?, a minute later the plow randomly drops then will raise up and lower just fine move side to side, but then does it again so I lift it and try to angle the plow then it doesnt angle, this scared the hell out of me because I would be afraid for it to randomly drop while I'm moving 45miles an hour in my f350 dually so I drove back down the street and had to leave it at the sellers home to return later to pick it up, I still have not gotten it, what problems am I facing? poor electrical connections? or the pump is busted? what could this be? some one please help me out I also need to figure out how to get this snowplow from his location to mine 30 miles one way:confused:

2. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

sounds like a sticky valve in the pump. change your fluids out and cycle it thruough a coupke times see if that helps. and when you go to get the plow, put it in the bed of the truck dude.

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Could be a sticky valve as mentioned above. A teardown of the pump and valves along with a good cleaning could be the fix.

Could also be a sticky joystick. I've recommended it before with a lot of nay sayers that later came back to tell me it worked, soooo...................take the lever of the joystick and wiggle it back and forth and up and down. Do this as hard as you possibly can without breaking it off. The pin switches in the joystick stick over time and start doing exactly what your problem is.

Another alternative would be to find someone with a handheld to swap out just to try. I'd get the controller ruled out before tearing into the pump.

4. hankhill

hankhill Member

I want to put it on the bed! I actually have a omaha standard flatbed on the dually but I cannot lift it myself I would only be able to get one friend of mine to help me and the man who I bought it from is an older gentleman that would be unable to help, roughly how much does the snowplow blade and the frame where the lights are weigh? it has to be a few hundred pounds

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

could be a bad grill plug, they corrode internally and cause those types of intermittent actions.

6. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

In a pinch as far as transport get a wrecker comp with a hyd boom to lift it up into the bed of the the same to unload it or else short chain it keeping it 4-6 " from the ground and drive back its not like ur going 300 miles just 30

7. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

your solenoid under the hood could be bad to or maybe a loose wire or bad ground somewere

to get plow on your bed how i do it is me and my friend put upside down lower the tailgate
    each of you pick up the front lean it on the tailgate then slowly back up in to it and it will gradually start falling in the bedthen you should only have to push a little bit to the front
    make sure you strap it to it will slide when you stop hard.

:mechanic::) 1996 f250 7.6 western unimount

8. hankhill

hankhill Member

thanks for your helpful suggestions guys, solenoid was very corroded so I am assuming it is a electrical problem I cleaned all contacts as best as possible well see what happens when I go to pick it up this weekend

9. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

My Fisher Minute Mount I does this. I have a bad wire in one of the plugs, the plug had some black tape on it when I bought it, looks to have been bent at a severe angle alot over time and the wires eventually gave out. I ran a jumper wire temporarily and will be splicing in a new head this summer to correct it permanently. Still does it sometimes...when it does I put the controller into float and if the plow doesn't drop I get out of the truck and jiggle the plug and down it comes.

10. standley & son

standley & son Junior Member
    from usa

Ihave a western 8ft unimount it goes up left right but it wont go down help

11. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'm not sure how heavy your blade is but I have managed to put a 600lb straight blade in the back of a truck with 2 guys. The key is your never lifting the whole blade's weight.

Steps:
    1) With the blade dismounted flip so its blade facing towards the ground and the truck mount side toward the sky.
    2) Back the truck up within reasonable distance of the blade.
    3) Lift the end towards the bed of truck upward to the point of where you can balance it.
    4) Have driver back so as you let it down it will sit on edge of pickup bed.
    5) Grab the blade by the other end & as you lift, slide in.

If your bed is nice. I would recommend a piece of osb or plywood. I also screwed a 2x4 to the rear edge so it would protect the tailgate edge & keep the plywood from sliding forward. The plywood also makes sliding the blade in easier.

I should have also supported the edge of tailgate by a 2x4 to the ground because all the weight kinda bent the metal where the tailgate cables attach.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

clean ALL the electrical connections and put a bit of di-electric grease on them
    just short chain the plow to get it home...that way it is on the truck to test it later