1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extremely new to business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by buddyleee5, Oct 23, 2008.

1. buddyleee5

buddyleee5 Junior Member

I have no experience plowing, and I am not asking how do i start my multimillion dollar plowing business, so don't take it that way. I am looking for a site that explains plowing, such as a tutorial or a wiki. I did a forum search on tutorial that didnt turn anything up, so I was looking for something that could get me an idea of where to even start.

I have the basics, I want a truck, and I am looking for a way to make some money with it... eventually. I have a business mind, i just need the training in the field. Any help is appreciated, even explanations on the different plows available. I was reading something about shoes and downforce or something like that, and I'm looking for a site that explains all of that.
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome to the site.

You're at the right place. Use the search function to find specific answers to your questions and if you can't find them that way just post a question in this section and someone will give you an answer.
  3. buddyleee5

buddyleee5 Junior Member

like i said, i tried to search for a tutorial, but my seach came up with nothing. Does such a tutorial exist?
  4. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Welcome to the site. Just do a lot of reading and divide out the things you are looking for. You might search "where to start?" Or "Employment options?" or "subbing". You will get the idea of the road you want to go, then start searching "best plows" which will be a loaded question, good luck getting agreed answers on that one. You need to decide, if you want residential plowing or commercial. You need different set ups for what you want to accomplish. Here is a lot of knowledge here just as long as you don't listen to what I post:D Just keep yourself grounded and expectations in check, you will have half the battle won. You will get a lot of good answers to questions, as long as you don't think you can build Rome in a day with no help. I would say get a job for a plowing contractor, running his truck for the first year or two, so you will learn the game. Maybe try and find one that puts on subs and say that you would like to sub in a year or two. You will already have your foot in the door with him and most guys won't pick up a sub that has never plowed before. I wouldn't that is for sure
  5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Here's a tip for plowing .When you stop hitting your head on the windshield,you learned how to plow!
  7. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Perhaps work for a snowplowing company for a year or 2, so you can learn the ropes.

Welcome to ps.:waving:
  8. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

As mentioned check out the BOSS site they give some explanations. After you get some more info and decide to actually give plowing a try you should consider subbing for someone to gain hands-on experience. Good luck.
  9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You said you have the "basics" - what do you mean by that? A truck and a plow ARE the basics. Do you mean that you know HOW to operate a plow? If we know where you are in the process, it'll help us to help you. Do you need to know about different types of plow - like "Full Trip" "Trip Edge" & "Manual vs Hydraulic" angling? Or are you asking about method of plowing?
  10. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

For 2 years I really wanted to plow but my full time job kept me from taking a job with a contractor. Then in '04 I bought a new 2500HD got insurance borrowed $3600 from my parents for a new Boss (paid it back the first season) and ran an ad. I had 25 accounts that year. The first couple of times out it took me 6 hours to get them done by the end of the season I could be done in about 4 hours. I had never plowed anything prior to that first snowfall. I learned on the the job on my own accounts. Some guys will say that's the wrong way but I really wanted to plow. I got an '07 2500 HD last year and upgraded my plow to a new Boss 8'2" VXT. I still do not do it 'full time' but we'll see next season. Something I never did was low ball even though I was new. I had a buddy that ran a landscaping company and he advised me on rates for the first few drives I took. Learned a lot about how to read people that first year too. You can tell who will be a pain and call you the minute there's 3" on the ground. The first sign is you're their third plow company in the past 3 years. Good luck. payup
  11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If you sit down and do ALOT of reading in different forums you will pick up a ton of advice.
    Key to plowing is experience behind the wheel of the plow truck.
  12. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

From The Boss site

I think this is good info to know

In deep snow raise the plow several inches off the ground to shear off the top layer. If you have a Power-V Plow, use the V-position for the first pass. Then change to the Scoop or Angle-position to widen things out. You should push just enough snow with each pass to get the job done efficiently without overloading your equipment. A good rule of thumb is to use a full blade width for two inches of snow or less, three quarters of the blade for four inches of snow and a half blade for six inches of snow or more.

The best advise is this: once you start, finish the job. Wet snow left in windrows overnight can freeze and turn into tank traps by morning.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

also dont forget to plow as fast as you possibly can so it throws the snow further, and in an automatic truck when stacking the snow make sure to throw it in reverse before the truck comes to a complete stop that way the snow falls off the blade and you can back up faster.
  14. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Excellent advice Ben. The additional snow on the plow will reduce gas mileage as well as cause wear and tear that is avoidable. Who wants to get out in the cold and scrape it off. Hitting at faster speeds may eliminate the need for stacking all together. prsport
  15. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Welcome to snowplowing Buddyleee5. I've been plowing snow since 1978 and still love it. In order to learn what you need to know, you may want to do a few things. (1) Go to the SIMA site (www.sima.org) and order their "Basic Snowplowing Techniques" video or any other set of videos that you think will be helpful. (2) Read as much as you can on plowsite and you will soon learn a lot. (3) Find someone who will either hire you to sub or ride along. Snowplowing is not very hard but experience is a great teacher. Good luck in your endeavours.