1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Extreme Weather--

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TatraFan, Jan 11, 2012.

1. TatraFan

TatraFan Senior Member

So what sort of prep do you do for you trucks in extreme weather?

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Just do a one over like any other storm. Make sure they have all the tools needed to do minor repairs, check all the fluids and take it for a test drive around the block to see if I feel or hear anything unusual. Extra boots, gloves, and a few other odds and ends, but it is business as usual.

3. TatraFan

TatraFan Senior Member

You know what I don't see as a standard option lately on trucks: Ether Injection.

4. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

Keep the loaders in the garage; plug the trucks in and pray it warms up before you have to use them 'cause the hydraulics and transmissions will be pretty slow.

5. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

Put my tuque on, warm the truck up for a couple extra minutes, work the plow controls a bunch till the fluid thins out a little and the plow moves quickly again. Other than that the truck is ready to go all the time and no extra work required

6. TatraFan

TatraFan Senior Member

You don't put those extra plug in magnetic heaters on the hydraulic fluid reservoirs and transmissions??? I would think they might supply enough heat to keep the fluid from being completely mud like in the system.

7. Landcare - Mont

Nope (+ six more characters). Doesn't pay to be concise apparently.

8. TatraFan

TatraFan Senior Member

I was surprised. I've heard good things about using those type of devices to add extra heat to oil pans and oil reservoirs under certain conditions. But, I see that unsolicited follow up queries are not your bag... Forgot I asked the question.

9. TatraFan

TatraFan Senior Member

I was hoping some one from Alberta or Yellow Knife perhaps Fairbanks also posted here...

10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

So far it looks like you'll have to settle for second best. I don't think you can do much more prep to make anything last longer in extreme weather.

11. TatraFan

TatraFan Senior Member

I was just curious what people were using for fuel additives these days for Diesels.

12. Landcare - Mont

Our supplier fills the tank in our yard with "winter" diesel; we don't use any additives.

13. Landcare - Mont

The new John Deere tractors we picked up this year will not move until the transmissions come up to temperature; it's a computer thing. Doesn't take them too long so far.

Every time you add another device to you machines, you add costs and complications (in a lot of cases). I personally haven't seen the magnetic heaters you're talking about - do they stay on the machine while you're working or do you have to take them off and put them back on when you park? What kind of wattage are you talking to plug them in? Each of our machines that stay parked outside has at least a 1500W block heater - they get plugged in one per circuit breaker. Add anything more and you're incurring electrician costs, etc.

Our operations manager gets to the shop long before the drivers and operators and usually goes out and starts everything up well before plowing time. That way, he also gets to make sure that everything's copacetic..

14. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Good answer?

Anyway back to queston now we know he is referring to northeners, I use diesel additives(dieselkleen) to prevent "gelling" of the fuel aswell as it cleans injectors. I tried 1 of those pan heater mats & it melted and caught fire within 2.5 mins of first plugging it in, So I wouldnt use 1 ever again, I'm glad it happened right away before I walked away & left it, I just wanted to see if it worked then I saw smoke. I thought hmmm glue must be burnning off, then more & more smoke, then pooof little flame, I quickly unplugged it & ripped it off.tymusic

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What's most ironic is that EtherMan doesn't plow, and consistently refutes the advice of the actual professionals. But it's still fun to pick on his obsession with foreign overweight underpowered ether sniffing behemoths.

Oh, chains.

16. TatraFan

TatraFan Senior Member

"Oh, chains..." What?

17. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Many post were moved out. Lets try and keep this thread on topic. You know where the off topic type thread non business section is.

18. TatraFan

TatraFan Senior Member

Yeah that works... I was wondering if the additives I've read about are better than using: D1 and D2 grades mixed together... I've even used Aviation Gas and Diesel pre-mixed that is common in the pumps in Russia.

As for the magnetic heaters-- they are usually not meant to stay on while the truck or vehicle is in motion. They provide 200-300watts of power from what I've seen. here is an add for one: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200339107_200339107

I just wondered if they were any good.

19. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Wouldn't Av-gas and diesel mixed be basically kerosene?

OK, in all seriousness. We plug our trucks in. Our supplier starts with winter blend diesel sometime in November, but if it's going to get real cold, I'll add some Stanadyne to the mix.

I usually get everything started before everyone comes in as well.

I also just might break out an extra coat if it's going to be below zero.

20. TatraFan

TatraFan Senior Member

My understanding is that Kerosene is not the aviation fuel they are speaking of-- but aviation gasoline like 100/130 fuel... In the past I've just used kerosene in the fuel when it was cold... but you have to go down to really cold temps. Usually the winter mix from the pump works well...

Stanadyne? Never heard of that additive brand. Do you think they better than Kleen's products?